SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonathanf1968

Playing with roots

Jonathan
17 years ago

Hello,

A couple of my semi-dwarf apple trees aren't doing so well. They are growing very, very slowly, in comparison to their neighbors of the same age. Like, I have a 5-year old sops of wine that's about a foot high. It actually flowers great, but it's just so tiny. (I don't let it fruit for fear it will hurt itself.) I treat it just the same as its friends who have grown up to ten times its size, and I can't figure out other causes for its slow progress than a possible bum let. The other shrimp is a hidden rose apple, maybe 500 feet away. I think its problem is wet feet.

Does it make sense to mound dirt around it above the graft union, so that the standard part roots, to increase their vigor?

While we're discussing tree sizes, I'm looking at the Miller's catalog and noticing that they have standard and dwarf pears, but no semidwarfs. Any idea why? (I'd rather buy from Trees of Antiquity, but they're sold out.)

And last, while I have you here, on an unrelated topic, what pear variety do you recommend for cooking? Something I can't find in the grocery store, please.

--Jonathan

P.S. On this last point, on a recent trip to Paris I had one of the very best desserts of my life at a 3-star restaurant, and asked the waiter if he could find out what variety the pear was. I was so disappointed when he said "Williams" (known in the US as Bartlett).

Comment (1)