SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armyofda12mnkeys

Can you top prune a pawpaw tree to keep it at a smaller height?

armyofda12mnkeys
11 years ago

Just curious when a pawpaw reaches 10-12ft tall, can you top prune it to keep around that height? My trees are still very small and I know they grow slow so just wanted to know for 5 years from now :).

On a sidenote:
I just took my pawpaw trees out of their very large pots I put them in last year ... They came as 3year old plants about 3-4ft tall and came bareroot. I also had 2 that were not bareroot and about 1.5-2ft tall that I got at the same time. So slowly washing away the soil around them to see how they did in the pots... I can tell that after one season, most of the bareroots ones still had the taproot with nothing much around it... But the non-bareroots which already had some decent roots had more roots around it. Non-bareroots had nice webbing of white nice roots around it vs bareroots which had the one long black taproot with a couple thick black roots around it but no 'fresh'/white roots around it (except one plant which had just 1 fresh white root coming out of the black root). I rubbed the bark and they still alive though but probably will grow slow again this year (Maybe I should top prune those guys to bring them into balance?).... Basically, just wanted to say buying the non-bareroots its worth the extra cost of shipping.

Comments (6)