SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tango88_gw

New Photo & Image Policy...

tango88
18 years ago

Hello Group --- Just in case you have not taken a look at the "new" policies that will go into effect January 24th regarding any images you post here...take a look:

By submitting content, which shall include your member name, to any "public area" of the GardenWeb Network, including, but not limited to, the forums and your personal website, exchange page and journal, you grant iVillage a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right (including any moral rights) and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, sublicense, assign, derive revenue or other remuneration from, communicate to the public, perform and display the content (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, for the full term of any Rights that may exist in such content. If you are not the creator of such content, you also warrant that the holder of any Rights, including moral rights in such content, has completely and effectively waived all such rights and validly and irrevocably granted to you the right to grant the license stated above. You also permit any visitor or member to access, display, view, store and reproduce such content solely for personal, noncommercial use.

Sure, stuff gets pirated all the time on the web, but this sounds like you turn over all rights to iVillage forever(?). How do the rest of you read this?

Comments (20)

• brighteyes
    18 years ago

I dont agree with it and i think that we are not going to get the participation that there is now. Not to many people are going to want to show their work and share their ideas if ivillage can take it and use it as their own.

ive been mostly a lurker here but love the advice and knowledge that is shared.

carey

• paws4pets
    18 years ago

Many other Forums are up in arms about this new policy. My work is mine alone no matter how ugly it is. LOL It may not always be pretty but it is MINE. Don't agree with there new plans but what to do but not post pics?
    Paws

• Related Discussions

Just posted tons of photos in Image Gallery

Q

Comments (6)
    Very nice photos! You seem to do much better at getting accurate colors than the photos I take. Your clematis all look quite happy and healthy. You have some great color combos . . . 'Forever Friends' and 'Romantika' are stunning together, and since I have both sitting in pots waiting to be planted, I think that I will use your idea. You asked, "I was surprised how they mainly bloomed on the top parts. Is this typical?" Many of your clematis are type three prune (all those viticellas.) Did you prune them down to one or two buds this winter? These clematis bloom on new wood, so if you don't want all the blossoms near the top, you need to prune them pretty severely. As long as I prune them, I find that most of them bloom fairly much bottom to top. An exception seems to be my various C. texensis crosses like 'Gravetye Beauty' or 'Princess Diana' which seem to have more of the bloom near the top even though they get winter killed to the ground most years and pruned low regardless.
    ...See More

New Garden Forum with Image Gallery!!!

Q

Comments (2)
    the link doesn't work. neither did GardenSharing.com when i typed it into the address line. nor did a google search for the site. hmmm.
    ...See More

Photo request - images of a warmer time ...

Q

Comments (21)
    I'd just caution about keeping the Agave parryi as dry as possible in winter. We are never cold enough to worry about them, but I have lost them even here in the Bay Area(northern Calif.) in a particularly wet winter. I'd say that planting them out with the really good drainage, plus with some initial size, plus on a mound and full sun only would be the safest. I am surprised to hear that xMangave suffers from winter damage up there. It seems perfectly happy here in winter, and also where I first saw it growing back in Raleigh, North Carolina, it appeared to come through their colder yet drier winters with no damage, as it already looked big and full in early May at the JC Raulston Botanic Garden.
    ...See More

New York Public Library Free Digital Images

Q

Comments (8)
    I will dive into that site and probably never come back up for air, lol! There's a whole site of Berenice Abbott photos of NYC. Well, there goes the afternoon! : )
    ...See More
  • rockhewer
    18 years ago

This type of thing is happening more and more. HGTV has the same policy. This means that if you post anything like a tutorial (there are several in this forum that are 1st rate too) this site and all of the others Tango mentioned has rights to it. They can publish it and gain financialy from it and you get nothing. Something to think about.

I too think it will greatly reduce the kind of participation here.

• garden_chicken
    18 years ago

Thanks for highlighting this tango.

Does everyone know how to slap a GREAT BIG © (copyright) symbol & their name with the text 'All Rights Reserved' as a watermark on their photos??? Also, if you post a link, it seems to me that they only have rights to the link itself, not the content of the link.

Too bad it's come to this... unfortunately it's all around us.

• rickharmer
    18 years ago

Ah,me.Just when you thought "Big Brother" wasn't real...Mr.Orwell had it right.
    Anyhow,how DOES anyone know how iVillage get its income?Has anyone searched their website?
    My opinion,having just got pics on the site:It doesn't rankle me as much as I thought,after thinking about it for a few minutes.After all,we could ,ex parte,talk and exchange ideas without this forum.All of our e-mails are here available.
    But...anyone new into the wonderful wacky world of concreting as an art form will have no peers to talk to,try out new ideas,and share photos.There are other forums as well that could be used by us all,but,for me,I don't have the time to meet new neighbours.I help run a business,I'm in the studio a lot at this time of year,and I,like all the rest of you have a life away from this forum.
    Can we do anything about it?Copywriting,sure,that would probably work.With lawyers and all,that would get expensive.
    Withhold photos?Again,that works,but who gets the benefit then?Not me,or you.Our original work is where we are still masters.We freely display the works at shows,we sell them if that is our bent,or we keep them close as personal art.The"Big Brother"has no,and will have no control over that.
    Again,just my early morning thoughts on that...

• club_53
    18 years ago

At first glance I find this more than a little far reaching --

i.e. "including but not limited to...your personal website, exchange page and journal", as well as the "If you are not the creator....you also warrant that the holder of any Rights....granted you...the license stated above".

It also says that they can use your member name -- "which shall incude your member name"

If someone put that in front of me in the form of an agreement to actually sign, I would kick it to the curb.

As far as copyrighting: anyone with more money than you can infringe on your rights, and, if you want to go that route,
    tie you up in court for years -- the only ones that get rich are the lawyers.

It is also interesting to note that "any visitor" can store, reproduce, etc., but only for "non-commercial use", but iVillage can use it for profit.

I notice that the term "Rights" is capitalized which means to me that it is a defined term somewhere. I would like to see iVillage's definition of "Rights". Either this is part of a larager document, or the drafter is just sloppy.

Stalin (and Lenin) would be proud.

• davidmcdn
    18 years ago

Club writes:
    "If someone put that in front of me in the form of an agreement to actually sign, I would kick it to the curb."

You will get your chance. If iVillage follows typical website procedure at some point this month you will have to agree to the TOS or you won't be allowed to log in.

• daisy_ny6
    18 years ago

That's a bad policy. I've learned a tremendous amount here from the discussions, pictures and tutorials. I'd hate to lose this resource.

• bonecarver
    18 years ago

I too have learned a great deal here, and while I have not posted in this forum, I have found a love for this art form and have started in based on what I have learned here. I also run several websites, I could not imagine doing this to the users of those sites. Just does not sit well with me. The Almighty Dollar rises once again.
    If you folks here decide that you want a free forum / gallery that you can have a hand administering free from the ads and this type of activity, let me know I would happily put one together for this group.. Curt

• club_53
    18 years ago

I have only one message for iVillage:

as the old song says "I got along without you before I met you, gonna get along without you now"

• rustinj
    18 years ago

Wow, that's just absurd. I guess they're going to keep squeezing until there's one post per page and the rest is ads. I'm pulling all of my pictures by that date. It's not that I'm worried about what they might do with them, but it's just the last straw for me.

• tango88
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Pretty sad situation to my mind. I have to agree with Paws and the rest of you...and will have to refrain from posting any more images here, which makes this forum pretty worthless as a vehicle to share knowledge & information with friends.

What a shame, but it looks like the corporate wizards at iVillage have decided that the folks who make up this forum and have spent years making it what it is (was)are nothing more than fodder for use in their own advertising & merchandising machinery.

I've only been a "regular" here for a couple of years and can't imagine how some of you "founders" must feel about all this. This was without question one of the finest forums and greatest groups of folks I've ever encountered on the web. It seems especially criminal that what you all have built through your contributions, kindness and willingness to share freely is being brought down by yet another "buy out". To my simple mind, this forum rightly belongs to you, not some faceless beancounter who is willing to sacrifice the golden goose for a few click-throughs converted to cash.

No doubt, theirs will be a profitable venture, but at what cost to you? As for me, I just can't go along with the new "landlords" deal. No doubt I'll likely get locked out after this, but out of respect for the good and kind folks who have put so much into creating such a very special and uniquely free haven that welcomed any and all who were anxious to learn and willing to share in the spirit of the common good...I must protest. And if that means I get evicted for expressing myself in this matter, then it is indeed time to move on and leave the new owners to their business. I will miss you all terribly, and I sincerely hope that we meet again somewhere in cyberspace. Only next time, I hope it is on a truly free and member-owned forum. One that belongs to the people who rightfully own it by virtue of having built it.

'Til then..."So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Tango

• bonecarver
    18 years ago

Tango, well said!

If any of you regulars here are interested in a new venture, please let me know, I have about 6 gigs of space on a web server that I paid lifetime hosting on. I would be more then happy to set up a site for this group to be ran by this group as they saw fit. no charge, no strings, no ads.
    I was thinking of something like tufateers.com as I saw one of you place in a post some where here, or for that matter any other name the group could decide on...

It is an open offer, I do hate to see this resource be ruined by the greed of others.
    Now Tango if they boot anyone, I am sure I will be the first to go... LOL

• Running_Dog
    18 years ago

Anyone can join photobucket.com, it's really easy to work. Then you just attach a link to the image at the foot of your message. That way you're retaining the rights to your own photos. They can't claim ownership of images at a linked site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

• rickharmer
    18 years ago

Hey,I'm game!Like so many others on this forum current and left,all we wanted was a place to FREELY exchange ideas,photos,jokes,etc.I have not felt free in a while,what with all the ads,fixed and floating in our faces at every moment.And,with the new policy(perhaps it was there before,just well disguised!)it makes it an undesirable place to be.So,put me down.
    But....
    Garden Web still has a large presence on the Web,and lots of newbies come here for help.The kind of help that only the experienced can provide.So,I'll continue to monitor and provide assistance where I can.I will not post another photo here,but that shouldn't be a problem as I already have so many places I can send them to.
    I didn't want to leave this forum with all of its great people,but the gauntlet has been tossed down.ivillage seems to ignore our pleas for a more sane approach to site management.I'll even throw them a suggestion,and,if this site is being monitored,I hope that they heed it:Instead of bombarding us with senseless and at times idiotic ads(which monkey did they hire to write this drivel?),ask us to do a monthly survey.A 5 minute survey only.We respond(Advise us that some response is necessary in order to maintain our position on the forum.Up front,no sneaky legalese to obfuscate the situation!)and then leave us alone for the next 29 days.No pop-ups at all.And,go back to the place you used to be,where if its a paid membership,no banner ads.For the rest of us,banner ads only.As one consumer,I would take Charlton Heston's words(slightly altered)you would have to wrest money from "my cold,dead hand" before I bought ANYTHING in a pop-up ad.
    But,that's just me.
    To all who "know"me and have corresponded with me in the past thru e-mail,keep them coming.Like bonecarver,I expect that I'll be dropped ,too.Now,as Edward R Murrow used to sign off with(and,I'm old enough to remember him!)"Good night and Good luck!"

• heehoo
    18 years ago

I'm so appalled I can't breathe. I'm the one whose first attempt bonded to my patio. I've relied on you people from my first dip into the 'crete...and I pay diligently every year. Why does everything boil down to greed, power, and control? I've learned a ton from all of you--when my brother died, people from this site emailed me. It makes me sad.

• heehoo
    18 years ago

ALSO my brother is a Supreme Court justice and my son is an attorney. I'll have them check the legality of this. It makes me angry.

• tango88
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Heehoo --- please do. I've contacted the ACLU and they think that this would make an excellent case to settle once and for all some major online intellectual property issues. I can assure you that if ANY of the images I have posted on this site are ever used by iVillage for anything, anywhere...I will absolutely file against them. This is a pathetic crock of crap and an insult to the people who really built this site...the members. Go ahead iVillage mkae my day. You deserve the publicity of a Supreme Court test case.

• tango88
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Heehoo --- please do. I've contacted the ACLU and they think that this would make an excellent case to settle once and for all some major online intellectual property issues. I can assure you that if ANY of the images I have posted on this site are ever used by iVillage for anything, anywhere...I will absolutely file against them. This is a pathetic crock of crap and an insult to the people who really built this site...the members. Go ahead iVillage mkae my day. You deserve the publicity of a Supreme Court test case.

• trianglejohn
    18 years ago

This policy is very similar to many trade publications - especially the ones that have no advertising, you know the ones that feature happy stories about life in the country or pages of photos of backyard songbirds and flower gardens... Many gardening based publications own outright anything you send in - a photo or a story. By submitting it to them to be published you are giving away your rights to the work.

Also keep in mind that in the past any talk of setting up competitive sites ended up with some very talented people getting banned from GardenWeb - take care what you post.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals