SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iowajer

Raspberry Thinning Question

iowajer
13 years ago

Hi,

I have a quick question that I was wanting some help on.

Last year I planted 10 Caroline raspberries and had a couple die from what Nourse thought was our heavy rain events at the time.

Well the remainder did really well and I was even able to get a few berries before it was all over. (Enough to know that I think they're a lot better tasting than the Heritage bush I have)

Anyway, even though I have a Heritage bush it was kind of a deal where I bought it and they said dig a hole and plant it and that's all. So it's just a roundish clump that's getting bigger...

So I get some fruit off the Heritage, but I'm eventually going to be trying to get it into a row somehow.

For now, my main concern is knowing what the best way is to handle my row of Caroline.

What I did was cut them off to the ground right ahead of winter so that I'll get a fall crop and won't deal with any pruning things.

So anyway this year there are little shoots everywhere along my row kind of filling things in, but out as well.

Do I leave them as is, or should I remove any that are making things appear too wide at the ground level. In other words, is there a preferred width and amount of shoots I want to have beginning with this 2nd year.

I guess what I'm asking from the folks who have Raspberry experience is what would you do to make sure this turns out well?

Thanks a bunch!

Jer

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting