SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slashy

Trying to revive inherited, sad-looking lemon & mandarin trees

slashy
16 years ago

Hi all- I've got two citrus trees in my new backyard that were planted by a previous tenant. I'm told that one is a lemon and one is a mandarin (I can't quite tell). I would never have put them where they are (only partial sunlight and they've grown too big & unruly for the space) but since they're quite large and established now I want to try to 'fix them up' a bit.

For both trees: about 3 metres tall, very bushy, lots of green leaf growth. They're in EXTREMELY hydrophobic soil- can't get water in there for the life of me. All the advice I read for the soil is to 'dig in a lot of organic matter' but I know that citrus is really fussy about having it's roots messed with- how can I get organic matter into the soil without disturbing the roots?

For the lemon: there's no fruit set at all and no flowering (at this time of year all the other citrus trees in Sydney are laden with ripening fruit). The branches are quite spiky, is this normal for a lemon? The growth is otherwise very green. This tree is right next to a compost bin so I imagine it's getting all the nitrogen it needs from there, but I have no idea how to get other fertilisers to it given the water-repellent state of the soil.

For the mandarin (clementine for Americans?): there's lots of little green fruits on this tree, which is great, I'm just not sure if there's any fertiliser or treatment I could be giving it right now to encourage the fruit to develop and ripen properly. Any suggestions? Of course feeding the tree anything is reliant on my figuring out how to get ANYTHING into that soil...

I suppose I'll cross-post this to the soils forum since my major problem is with the dirt, but I'd also love any advice at all on how to take on managing a couple of good-sized citrus trees, and I thought this was the place to ask about that!

Thanks in advance for any advice, and happy gardening

Slashy

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio