SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Hand pollinating Asian pears and apricots

californian
17 years ago

I have three small Asian pear trees (Hosui, Shinseki, and 20th Century) that I have never seen a bee attracted to so I have been hand pollinating them using a small artists paintbrush, and must be doing something right as I see small fruits forming. I tried doing the same thing on a Moorpark apricot that has produced almost no blossoms this year but only ended up knocking the blossoms off the branches and I don't see any fruits forming. Moorpark may need more chilling hours than I get in Orange County, California, or maybe the drought this year may be responsible, but I don't think I'll get any apricots this year even though last year I did get a few, but nothing like my Royal Blenheim used to make before it finally died of old age.

Some questions:

1. Some of the asian pear flowers have pink filaments sticking out of them, but most have yellowish greenish filaments, is there any significance to this?

2. The asian pears are covered with flowers this year, and if most of them produce fruits there may be over a hundred fruits on each of these small trees. Should I thin them, and if so at what stage of fruit developement and what percentage should I leave on the trees.

3. I also have two Nectarine trees, one usually had two or three bees working the blossoms and the other had only an ocassional bee visting it, should I hand pollinate the one that didn't have many visitors?

Comments (2)