SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peter1142

When/how to fertilize squash plants

Peter1142
9 years ago

I have planted numerous cucurbits, including zucchini, butternut, acorn, small sweet pumpkins, and cantaloupe.

They are all growing well. Losing many fruits to lack of pollination, don't know why they are only open for a few hours in the morning, it seems anti-evolution. The bees aren't really active at 7am and they have a lot of competition. I think I managed to self pollinate a few.

Anyways, I think they need some fertilizer? I want to ask as when I last used less than the recommended amount of miracle gro I burned a lot of plants (mostly peppers). What should I use? I think they are eating up the nutrients as I planted a late zucchini in the hill with the older ones as a backup and he's pale and small and not doing so hot compared to the earlier ones.

Is it normal for a couple lower leaves that are not getting any sun to yellow and die, with vigorous top growth?

Can I also ask has anyone ever grown small sweet pumpkins? The vines seem to be crawling along and very small, they are 1/4 the size of the cantaloupes at best. It looks like there are some flowers beginning to develop, the vines are maybe 2 feet long.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals