SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_amos

Help, save my baby! (Ficus Alii)

15 years ago

I posted about a month ago about two problems with a plant I'd just bought (ID'd as "Ficus Alii aka Ficus binnendijkii", thank you mr. subjunctive). Leaves were turning very light green and crispy, but only on half the leaf (the half that includes the tip). The other problem is leaf dropping. One month later and its less than half the tree it used to be, and the floor is littered with dead leaves. It's in the corner of the room, about 1 to 2 ft from a south facing window, not touching any walls. I tried turning it so that the part facing the dark wall gets sunlight. A few days later more leaves in that area turned half-grey (but I can't confirm yet whether this is caused by too much sunlight). I use a hydrometer to check water needs, and ensure I dont water too much or little. I hear it should start getting better in the spring/summer, but I fear it won't last that long. That there won't be enough leaves left to distribute chlorophyl to create greenage (or whatever it is these things do, I don't know...).

To try to save it, I yesterday gave it a warm shower in the bathtub, 6 spikes of Jobe's plant food, and moved it to another location, about 15ft. from a south facing window, (to see if it does better in indirect sunlight).

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo from a month ago, with leaves turning pale green.

Comments (6)