SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m_taggart

How do I train a muscadine vine?

m_taggart
11 years ago

I planted a new to me, bare root muscadine, approximately 2 years old in late winter. While dormant, I pruned away all but the most vigorous (i.e. longest) leader and tied this to a bamboo stake. I also pruned this main leader at a height of approximately 5 ft, the height of the trellis wire.

The grape is now beginning to leaf out and I am at a loss for how to train it to the wire. My main observations are two-fold. I'm not sure I am able to differentiate between a leaf and a branch comin off the main trunk. I know I should leave the leaves and remove the branches, except for the two that will be the main cordons.

Speaking of cordons, the buds nearest the trellis wire do not seem to be sprouting leaves or branches. The growing bud nearest the trellis wire is about 18 inches below. What can I do to facilitate the sprouting of these buds nearest the trellis wire so they can become my cordons? Should I be patient? Do I need to prune the main leader just above the highest sprouting bud, which will then become the leader and be pruned to split into the two cordons when it's high enough? I've included a pic to help you see what's going on.

{{gwi:87886}}

Comments (11)