SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sakmeht

zebra prayer plant

16 years ago

Hi all, I have a prayer plant, Maranta leuconeura erythroneuro - I believe- that isn't doing well. It started with the mother plant which bloomed profusely for me in my terrarium where I have higher humidity. It was about 8 inches under 3 40watt fluorescent tubes and I would keep the gravel trays wet in there and would mist every day, which kept the humidity up. I have it in regular potting soil and fertilize it about once a month. Anyway, after the plant bloomed, the leaves started curling up and turning brown and within a week it was dead.

Luckily, during it's prime I had taken a cutting which was rooted and ready to go, so I put the new plant in the terrarium under the same conditions. This time I cut off the flower stalks before they could bloom thinking that the constant blooming had worn out the other plant and that's why it died. This time, even though I chopped off flower stalks, it is now going down the same road as it's 'mom'. I know I haven't kept the terrarium as humid as I did with the other plant. I've allowed the tank to dry a bit more due to neglect... but I'm not sure that's the problem. In the winter, our humidity never goes below 50. It still has a leaf or two that is not completely furled up and it's still putting out new leaves. Just need some suggestions! Thanks!

Comments (7)