SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amccour

I bought some seeds today. Houseplant viability?

amccour
16 years ago

I visited a homeshow today and one of the booths was selling some interesting looking seeds for fairly cheap so I bought the following:

-- Ginkgo

-- Flame Tree (Delonix regia)

-- Albizia julibrissin

The instruction booklets that came with the seeds, in short, said that the plants would need to be in a moist, well draining soil, kept fairly warm, not actually buried in the soil, and I believe that for the ginkgo, it said it might need a bit of cold to get it to start. In general, I think it said they'd all take about one to three months to germinate.

Anyway, in the case of the ginkgo, that can go outside eventually. I don't know how hardy they are, honestly, but I see tons of them in Ohio. However, from my understanding they need to be kept inside and potted until they get large enough to survive outside. How should I care for it during this time (or is this better directed to the tree forum?)

Anyway, in the case of the Flame Tree and the alibizia thing, can they grow indoors at all, or rather, in a potting arrangment that gets moved outdoors in the summer and indoors in the winter? I get the impression that alibizia can get acclimated to fairly cold environments as they're apparently an invasive species in New England, but I'm not entirely sure. Also not entirely sure that I'd want to put it outside as they can be invasive. I've also got some indication that Flame Trees can, apparently, be kept as low growing, shrubbier things indoors.

Also, in general, how long do seeds keep, or is there another forum I could/should ask about that on?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH