SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjdeez

Usage of high pressure washers as pesticide srayer equipment

mjdeez
16 years ago

Hi, I've been searching around the internet looking for information on equipment for spraying apple trees that are relatively overgrown. We bought the place over a year ago, and have had them pruned back by professionals, but 3 are still about 25 feet tall. I have a hose-end sprayer, but because we are on a well, this doesn't begin to cut it (40 - 60 PSI). I imagine it would not do much better with higher pressure city water anyway.

I have a 2 gallon hand pump sprayer. It seems to spray about 5 to 15 feet depending on the nozzle setting. At 15 feet, it is basically a stream, and I don't think it would be useful for spraying foliage 15-20 feet up.

I've seen a lot of recommendations for the SP0 backpack hand-pump sprayer, and I'm open to this as a more economical alternative to a gas power model of a either a backpack or wheelbarrow mounted sprayer. It has up to 150PSI and something like 18 feet spray height, and is supposedly well made. It has very high customer satisfaction. I don't know if the 18ft spray height is with a stream, or finer droplets. I am not willing to spend more than $150 on a sprayer, so a quality gas model is out of the question.

The thing is I own pressure washer, a Husky 1800PSI model. It was a gift and I've never even used it, so I wouldn't mind using it for pesticides. I'd prefer not to buy extra equipment such as the SP0 if I can use this pressure washer. The specs on the washer say there is a 10:1 detergent draw ratio, and I would imagine that there is probably a *very* loose tolerance on this. So assuming that a) I mix the Bonide and water to account for the 10:1 draw on the detergent tank, B) that I don't care that 10:1 number is off by 20 or 30%, and C) that I stand far enough away from the tree so that I don't damage the bark, buds, leaves and fruit with the high pressure, does anyone see any problem with using my cheap pressure washer for this type of application?

I do wear protective clothing when I spray, including goggles and respirator. I'd be wearing this if I tried it with the pressure washer. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (12)