SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

Help transplanting a big jade plant

sunnysideuphill
16 years ago

I have a big jade plant,about 2' high and nearly that wide. It was a little 10" rooted cutting when my brotherinlaw gave it to me about three years ago. I transplanted it once, summer of 06, to a pot that was too big for it at the time. Now it has definitely outgrown it. It has a thick central trunk divided into three branches about 10" above soil level, with two nearly horizontal and one curving up. Those three are divided into smaller branches. All are covered with large dark green single lobed leaves that attach to the leathery branches with an easily snapped off stem. I have seen small jade plants with lighter green leaves, densely growing out of the branches with nearly invisible stems. Mine isn't like that.

It is so big that even when the pot is watered and heavy, it is easy to tip over.

Any suggestions on how to go about this without knocking off all the leaves and leaving a skeleton?

Also, given its size and shape, I am thinking of going to a shorter, wider pot rather than one similar to the one it is in, which is taller than it is wide. What do you think? Thanks.

Comments (22)