SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikechmi

zucchini plants and squash dying help!

mikechmi
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum (and gardening) and was hoping I could get some help. I've got 6 8-ball zucchini plants and 1 normal zucchini plant that were doing pretty well. Though there stems (right above where they attached to the ground looked a little odd). Anyway things were fine until a few days ago when we had a very large rain. All of my zucchini plants are either now dead or near death. Their stems appear to have rotted through. Other vegetables in my garden are fine, so it's not a matter of flooding. I've done some searching and it appears that there are some fungus that may do this. In addition, on of my buttercup squash also died and the others appear to be at the initial stages of whatever it is.

I was wondering A) what this may be, is it indeed a fungus and which one B) what I can do about it, either now or in the future B) if my summer and winter squash could be come infected and if so what can I do about it.

Also what I read online indicated that it might be a fungus that stays in the soil for 3-4 years. If that's true I'm assuming it means no zucchini for me for some time, would this be correct?

At this stage I'm pretty concerned for the rest of my squash plants as they are the majority of whats in my garden, so any way to ensure they don't get this (help keep them alive) would be great!

I've posted photos of the zucchini plants, the stem of one I pulled up, and the stem of the squash plant here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikechmi/

Thanks,

Mike

Comments (25)