SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
althetrainer

Pocket gophers, what to do with them?

althetrainer
11 years ago

We found a couple of pocket gophers in our yard almost three years ago. The first year they ate all our carrots and whatever roots that were growing under the ground, pretty much destroyed our vegetable garden. So we hired a guy to deal with them. By the time we realized how bad the damage was it was a bit late to salvage anything.

The gopherbuster came and found a lot of holes everywhere and he stuffed something in each hole. The gophers went quiet for about a week but they came right back. The guy returned a second time and he put something else in the holes. Then the gophers completely disappeared - but again it was getting cold so it could be just the time for them to be less active.

Six months later we saw those dreadful holes again. We decided it was not worth our time and effort so we didn't grow anything last year. We thought the lack of food might drive the gophers somewhere else. And sure enough, there was absolutely no activity at all last year.

This year I decided to plant some squash plants. They are doing well but to my horror, the dreadful holes reappeared! I remember those darn rodents ate everything we grew, except potatoes. I did an online search and most said gophers don't like squash so that's a relief. But my question is, will they eat the plant roots?

Since we have already tried the professional but they didn't seem to be very effective. I wonder if anyone here have any experience dealing with these pesky rodents. Any help will be appreciated!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting