SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
starlady_gw

Bagging apples - reusable organza bags?

starlady
14 years ago

Hi all -- I've been reading with great interest the conversations about bagging apples in ziploc and/or cotton bags to reduce the need for spraying. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences -- I will definitely be giving it a try in the future.

It sounds like ziplocs work extremely well, but I have two concerns: first, I'd prefer to reuse if I can and ziplocs last only one season, and second, I'm not crazy about the way they'll make the tree look (this is a minor concern compared to reusability, but still...). Cotton bags sound like an alternative, but if I'm reading correctly, you have to remove them for the last couple of weeks for the apple to color up (and there is still the visual issue).

Any thoughts on whether organza "favor" bags (like this) would work? It seems that they'd let in a little more light than the cotton bags, and getting them in green (like the ones in the link above) would make them less visible. Do you think they'd protect against disease similarly to cotton bags? I think the weave is tight enough to still protect against insects.

Note: I'm talking about just a couple of trees, not a large orchard, so an addition in labor per bagged apple (versus ziplocs) isn't a big deal to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organza

Comments (27)