SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomis

I've got the cherry tree blues...

thomis
12 years ago

For five years now I have experimented with cherry trees. I know enough not to try sweet cherries here in central NC but I've been told that tart varieties can be grown with some success. I prefer the tart varieties anyhow. So far I have tried Montmorency on both Mazzard and Mahaleb as well as the dwarfing Gisela 5 stocks. I have one of three trees remaining on Gisela 5 and it is looking ROUGH. One of them grew amazingly well and fruited for three years and then suddenly died last summer. The one remaining tree has leafed out somewhat on the top branches and even had a few blooms and the rest of the buds were swollen but it has looked like that for a month now. I've also tried Surefire (lasted 1.5 seasons) and I have an English Morello that is hanging on for dear life, but it just won't put out new growth. I have plenty of success with apples (see my page), persimmons and other gardening so it's not like I'm stumbling around in the dark. The two tart varieties that I haven't tried yet are the Nanking Bush and Early Richmond.

I know Arbor Day is not an excellent source but they're the only ones I can find that still have available Early Richmond for 2012. They offer it in "standard" and "dwarf". I'm going to try one of each. Does anyone know what rootstock their "dwarf" and "standard" trees are grafted on?

I'm also interested in hearing your experiences growing tart cherries in the southeast.

Comments (19)