SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsws_gw

Soil microbes for air quality?

dsws
11 years ago

I've just resumed having houseplants, so I'm on a learning binge. What got me to start having plants again was checking out the claims that they remove various pollutants from the air. It seems quite solid: they do, and pretty much every house or apartment that has any furniture manufactured this century has enough pollution to make it worthwhile.

But apparently, what actually breaks down the chemicals is soil microbes. Different plants in the studies removed different chemicals from the air according to what types of microbes grew in their pots.

The question is, what growing practices make what difference to the soil microbes?

My spider plants and "philodendron" (so-called by the person who gave it to me; actually presumably an Epipremnum, aka "pothos") are abuse-tolerant houseplants. The species were chosen by the people who did the studies for their ability to grow well under the conditions people commonly subject houseplants to: salty-pudding soil, light intensities normally found only in a cave, and desiccating humidity levels. So I'm not worried about them. I don't really care whether they do ok, thrive, or grow in great profusion. I care how effectively they remove stuff from the air -- stuff presumably present at concentrations I can't detect, so I have no way of judging how well it's being removed.

People talking about plants for indoor air quality almost always only mention the kind of plant, nothing about how to get the best effect from the same plant. Does anyone know anything more?

Comments (20)