SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Ever successfully fruited Hardy/Arctic Kiwis?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

I bought 2 Hardy Kiwis about 8 years ago, and planted them into pots initially(large pots), then planed them in the ground a few years later, then I sold the house and moved, having never seen fruit number 1......

In the mean time, there is a large garden center nearby, and they had a HUGE female Hardy Kiwi and a large male growing along a split rail fence that cut through their property. It was very long and healthy looking, and it was supposedly about 5-6 years old when I first saw it there. I kept and eye on it each season for the next 3 years, and finally it began flowering! But then the flowers would just fall off, as the male apparently wasnt producing pollen(I guess).

Then, about 1.5 years ago, the garden center changed hands, and the new owners decided to remove the fence it was growing on for some reason, so they cut it back to the ground and soaked them with roundup!

I found out too late, as I wouldve tried to dig them up and take them out for free, if I'd known, but........

So I've never yet seen or tasted a Hardy Kiwi. They sell the plants at every Home Depot and Lowes around, and people buy them, but I dont where they are........

Have you successfully grown them to fruit, how long did it take for both female and male plants to mature enough to produce pollen and flowers?

How do they compare in flavor vs. a standard grocery store Kiwi?

Comments (3)