SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantkiller_gw

spidermites.... STILL, 5 questions

plantkiller
16 years ago

oh my god. horrible mutated little FREAKMITES!

ok, I have an office full of plants which were super duper healthy until spider mites showed up.

I have

2 cactus..s (cacti? lol)

3 peace lillies (1 huge, 2 medium)

1 gigantic jade (about 3X3? probably weighes 60 or 65 pounds in the pot)

1 spider plant

4 ferns

2 'Sansevieria trifasciata' (looked this up by image so I don't know the easy common name but definately the right plant, snake-plant?)

and a bunch of other random tropicals whose names I dont know...

I recently had a massive spider mite infestation and I have a few questions...

-I sprayed the plants down with soapy water (with a touch of baking soda for antifungal) twice in the first week. Waited a week and sprayed them down again.

The tips and edges of leaves/fronds on a lot of the plants are going brown. They do NOT look healthy.

#1: Is this a sign I still have spider mites eating them or did I go overboard on the treatment?

#2: I dipped the baby spider plants in soapy water because they were really difficult to spray down. A yellow/orange/tinged with rust coloured residue came off on the surface of the water - is this a sign of spider mite infestation like the residue you get if you rub leaves with a white cloth?

#3: Should I be using differnt treatments for different plants?

#4: Any helpful signs to see the mites aside from the webs & white cloth method?

#5: Where can the mites be OTHER than on the plants? (Like should I be spraying down carpets, tables, the cat (lol), etc?)

THANK YOU!!!!

-once again, Plantkiller

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor