SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nazarene1_gw

Progress of my garden

Nazarene1
11 years ago

This is my first year gardening, and I'm super excited that I finally seem to be growing something besides leaves :-) My tomatoes have set fruit, my cukes are not far behind, and my butternut squash are starting to vine. I've already learned some great lessons for next year -- most of them on these forums -- andI thought I'd share some pictures of a bit of the progress of my garden at this point.

I planted two types of heirloom tomatoes, Old Kentucky and DePinto. The Old Kentucky have grown big and healthy looking, but alas have set only the two fruit you see here. I had lots of blossoms, but more than a week of 100+ degree days seems to have cooked them, and I had blossom drop en masse.

{{gwi:90788}}

{{gwi:90789}}

My DePinto tomatoes, on the other hand, seem headed towards a good crop. Here are some shots of the developing maters.

{{gwi:90790}}

{{gwi:90791}}

{{gwi:90792}}

Here's a long shot of the DePintos. Behind the row, you can also spot the massive tripod I just erected for a fall planting of some red stripe greasy beans.

{{gwi:90793}}

Despite warnings that it could be difficult for a first-timer to grow them, I've put in a couple short rows of carrots. Here are a couple photos of my Red Core Chantenays.

{{gwi:90794}}

{{gwi:90795}}

I've got some Straight 8 cucumbers that got hit by target leaf spot early on, which you can see damage from in the photos, but the newer growth is green and healthy, and busting out all over with blossoms. I got some great advice on this forum for treatment.

{{gwi:90796}}

{{gwi:90797}}

These are some beautiful French Breakfast radishes that I originally planted as a trap plant, but no insect seems to have taken a fancy to them. You can also see radishes about six inches from each of the cucumber plants. They should be ready to harvest in a matter of a few days.

{{gwi:90798}}

Comments (4)