SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farmerboybill

Hows does my garden grow? - pics

farmerboybill
15 years ago

Hey all,

Thought I'd show some progress with my garden. This is my 5th year garden and the best yet.

{{gwi:79300}}
My pole beans are almost to the tops of the frame. I'm really excited to start picking them. They're one of my favorite garden treats. The frame is constructed with field cron sign posts. I built it first last year and am very happy with its usefulness. It can be torn down in a half hour and stored in my garden shed for the winter. It took me about an hour to build it this year.

{{gwi:79301}}

Here are my tomatoes. I started them in my basement with soil blockers and four foot fluorescent lights.

{{gwi:79302}}

I went a little overboard on the potatoes this year - 11 18 ft rows. Oh well, they're the easiest to give away. No one has ever turned down potatoes from me. On a side note, the row furthest to the right was mudded in on Maundy Thursday March 21st and was snowed on the next day. It has finally caught up with the other rows that were planted a few weeks later. The Co potato beetles have made an appearance this past week and I'm smashing 'em as fast as I see 'em.

{{gwi:79303}}

I'm pretty annoyed with my earthway garden seeder. As you can see, the seeder didn't do an even job of planting my sweet corn. I'm gonna hafta take it apart and see if the seeds are hanging up in the chute. It also didn't like to take just one seed this year. The seeds musta been a lot smaller than last year's variety 'cause they double up alot.

This has been a challenging year. We're two or three weeks behind a "normal" year with everything due to a cool, wet spring. Of course, everyone knows about the substantial rains we had two weeks ago. I've been very fortunate vs. some other poor souls who had their gardens destroyed and their homes ruined.

Comments (2)