SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Lipstick Plant Questions

puglvr1
16 years ago

Hi,

I have two lipstick plants and one Hoya that I recently purchased.This is my first experience with these plants ever. One is "Mona Lisa" and the other "Black Pagoda", I'm a total newbie when it comes to these plants. Until this forum I didn't know these plants existed.

The peat soil that it came in was in was VERY wet(peat), so I decided to tackle the job of repotting(same pot) but a fast draining soil, since this peat looked like it would take weeks to dry out, even in Florida winter. Boy was that ever a JOB, it was very difficult removing the soil from a hanging type plant and keep it from falling apart, especially with all the branches that were hanging down, pieces were almost coming off the root ball. Unfortunately for me it wasn't one root mass, but many rooted cuttings. I removed most of the old peat soil as best I could trying to keep the root ball intact as much as possible.

I live in florida and was wondering if these plants are better off outside or inside? The label says medium light, so am I to assume no direct sunlight at all or can they get a few hours of morning sun? Also what type of fertilizer is best for them and how often should I apply? Should I let the soil dry out completely between watering?

I really appreciate all the advise and help, and if you think of anything else that I need to know, please share.

Thanks to all the nice people here,

Comments (26)

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

Guess my z9 in southern Louisiana must be pretty much like yours, so I'll say you might want to keep them inside for a month or two--bit chilly for now. But for most the year they'll be very happy outside, and some morning sun would be okay. I keep mine hanging from the branches of a live oak, and they get some sun but mostly bright shade. I don't fertilize as often as I should, but they don't seem to be awfully greedy. Sometimes I have added a little slow-release fertilizer, but lightly. I grow them in wire baskets with coir liners so they drain quite well, and I'm not as good as I should be about watering sometimes, and they still do pretty well. Very rewarding plants. I think you will enjoy them very much (and of course there are many more, plus Columneas, and Nematanthus, and---!)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks greenelbows1, I really appreciate the reply and the tips. We probably are pretty close to the same type of weather, you may be a few degrees cooler this time of year. I will take it outside around the first week of March, and keep an eye for that occasional dip in the nighttime temps.

By the way does your plant flower in the spring? Although I love the plant for the foliage, of course I would love to see some blooms,someday? Thanks again,

• Related Discussions

wanting lipstick plants or cuttings, house plants

Q

Comments (0)
    looking for cuttings or small plants. or other house plants. i have seeds or lilly bulbs to trade. thanks jess
    ...See More

Need Help with Lipstick Plant

Q

Comments (28)
    Pirate Girl, weekend before last I saw lots of Peace Lilies at Lowes which were obviously new. They were all very beautiful and I almost bought one then. When I went with my husband on Saturday to get filters for the furnance and some perlite, many of the lilies were wilting from lack of water. This one was not wilting yet but was very dry. The hoya I found there had just the opposite problem. It was in a metal pot with no drainage and, when I picked it up to read the tag, water sloshed out of the pot. I dumped the water into a thirsty plant and brought the hoya home too. Luckily my husband is very kind and just rolls his eyes when a plant ends up in the cart. They had some beautiful sansevieria that were in pebbles and water. I loved the variegation on the leaves but hey were already starting to die and were expensive. I was so sad. As far as using newspaper, I bet coffee filters might also work. Purple, I was excited to find the plates. I picked up a couple more today while they were on clearance.
    ...See More

Lipstick or Goldfish Plant - Which To Choose?

Q

Comments (13)
    Larry, thanks for the link. I've been to the website before looking at hoyas. The plants are beautiful! I'll have to look for them. I hear Violet Barn's plants (hoyas anyway) are small and I'm looking for something a little larger that what people said the size of their hoyas were. Other than that, they were fine with what they recieved. Brad AKA Moonwolf
    ...See More

Lipstick Plants (Aeschynanthus)

Q

Comments (1)
    Beautiful Plants Nova, I've only had my two( Mona Lisa and a Black Pagoda) lipstick plants for about 4 months or so, so I am very new to them. The first one looks a lot like my "Mona Lisa" at least that's the label it came with. Your second one according to the link I posted below is a "Lipstick Rasta", looks like your picture. I just posted a pic of my Mona lisa last week, it started getting the calyx? How long did it take from that stage till the flowers came out? Thanks for the great pics, can't wait to see mine bloom! Mona Lisa Here is a link that might be useful: Lipstick Rasta
    ...See More
  • greenelbows1
    16 years ago

I don't have either of those, tho' I guess I could spend a couple happy hours looking them up--! They bloom at different times, and some bloom much heavier than others. I'll check, but I think my A. longicalyx is a parent of 'Black Pagoda', and some cuttings I took a month or two ago are in bloom now. Don't think the big plant is--it's in 'winter storage' and not very well cared for. Got a little frosted. It'll be fine in a couple months. Interesting--not exactly beautiful. Don't know 'Mona Lisa'. I'll go look and get back to you.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Puglvr, I think most plants prefer the great outdoors to being cooped inside, but if you're temps are cold, wait until it warms up. 60+ F.
    When growing Hoyas, think succulent..at least as far as watering. They prefer small pots, being rootbound..hoya's are more likely to bloom in small containers.
    Lipstick plants can bloom throughout the year, but do so, more often during longer daylight hours. I found, really allowing soil to dry a few weeks will force a lipstick into bloom. (not to the point leaves fall/yellow) IMO, lipsticks also are likely to bloom when rootbound.
    BTW, if/when you decide to take your plants out, don't place in what you'd consider medium sunlight..set in a shady spot..it's best taking plants out on a cloudy day too, as long as you're aware the spot will not turn into a tanning area as soon as the day brightens up. A little light can burn a plant when first bringing it out.
    Any all purpose fertilizer works, or alternating all purpose one month, to a flowering the next should do..fertilize when plants when you see growth..signs of life..Toni

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi greenelbows, sorry about that, I thought you had these plants, LOL! but thanks for helping me...

Hi Toni, I really appreciate the advise and great tips you gave me. I agree to acclimating the plants slowly from inside to outside, especially here is Florida, Our sun is very strong. Believe me, I have sunburned some plants by accident, watering it outside and then forgetting about it, )o: Thanks for the fertilizing tips also. I have some Bloom plus that I will use and see what happens...

I attached a few pics, hopefully I can get one or two to bloom for me this spring or summer. I'm hoping the plant is mature enough to do so.

If you notice the lipstick (mona lisa) has some brownish color on the leaves. It came that way when I bought it from Lowe's,(discounted) we had a freeze here a few weeks ago and I guess had some freeze burn. Do you think I should just leave it alone for now, or should I trim them off. I don't want to accidentally cut what might be bloom stems to be? By the way Toni, I have seen many pics of your plants, you have some really nice, healthy plants and have read many of your posts. You have always been very helpful...

Thanks again to you both,

{{gwi:70916}}

{{gwi:70917}}

{{gwi:70918}}

• paul_
    16 years ago

I found the timing of this thread rather amusing -- I just picked up a lipstick plant TODAY from LOWES. LOL Truth be told I really didn't have any great desire for one either. BUT IT WAS FREE! [As were several other plants I picked up this week.] So I couldn't help myself.

• pepperomia
    16 years ago

I also just saw all three of these EA plants for sale at Home Depot - I think EA just charges too much, but they are putting out some really great plants these days. I picked up the mona lisa to give it a closer look - I think it's a GORGEOUS plant, and I don't even know what the flowers look like - and a chunk fell off onto the ground! Of course, it had to climb into my pocket. I'll see now if it will root in a humidity tent with a little superthrive.

Post pics when they bloom, Puglvr - they're gorgeous!

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

Those are really nice plants, puglvr. Guess I should check my Lowe's! Don't think many 'lipstick plants' bloom constantly--none I've had anyway!--but tend to bloom seasonally. More light helps. In nature they grow in the crotches of trees, so the advise to grow them in small pots is right on. They will take cooler temps than a lot of gesneriads--I've kept my 'Laura' outside all winter a couple times, but wrapped with a 'frost blanket'. Brought it in this year, and a good thing, 'cause it got a little cooler than last year I think. We really have a big advantage weather-wise--I think where it gets cold it's more important not to put them out too soon in the spring, but since it's usually so mild, and so humid, which is important too, they will put up with pretty cool temps. The slightly frosted leaves will fall if they're too bad, or you can cut them back just a little and the stem will branch, giving you two stems and more flowers. I did spend a long time looking them up--'Mona Lisa' is very pretty, and must be a new one from Europe. Seems to be carried by several wholesalers I guess must be the ones who sell to Lowe's and HD--the regular gesneriad dealers I checked don't carry it. And I was right about the parent of Black Pagoda except I said 'longicalyx' and it is actually 'longicaulis'. Silly error on my part. I think 'Black Pagoda' is considered a more attractive plant than the one I have (which I like a lot, probably 'cause it's kinda weird!)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Paul, that's great on your new purchase(free)LOL, can't pass up that deal. I too was able to take advantage of that great deal... Good luck with your new lipstick plant.

pepperomia, thanks...I agree, EA plants are pretty expensive(these are new to me), lucky for me I got excellent deals on these plants or I would have passed it up or bought smaller sizes. If and when they flower, I will posts pictures, :o)

greenelbows, thanks for the compliment and the additional info. Good to know that these plants can take some cold temps. I will leave it outside in my patio as long as the temps don't get below 60, just because they are new to me, don't want to take the chance. I'll acclimate them slowly. I will leave the frosted leaves for now, since they don't seem to be worsening. The plants are from "Exotic Angel", their nursery is located just north of Orlando, FL. While doing more research, I found out that they have a website, great pics and good info. To me best information is always from the people that grow them, like you and many others. Post pics if you get flowers, love to see them. Here's the website www.exoticangel.com

• zubababy
    16 years ago

i just bought (almost free plant) a 'mona lisa' from lowes a few days ago that had flowers on it. here are some pics of mine
    {{gwi:70919}}
    {{gwi:70920}}
    {{gwi:70921}}

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

Those aren't flowers--yet!--and really show why so many people call them lipstick plants. You see the red in the center of the 'flower' on the left of the second picture? That red is the 'lipstick' which rolls up in the calyx until it opens. Very nice plant! and an excellent illustration of the lipstick. I always get kinda tickled when I watch them coming up.

• zubababy
    16 years ago

greenelbows1, thanks for the clarification. i can't wait to see what comes next!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

greenelbows, yes thanks for the clarification also. I probably would have been just like zubababy and thought those were flowers, LOL. That's why I love this forum, lots of useful info.

zubababy, Thanks for posting those great photos. You have one beautiful plant, and a great price to boot. Wish mine had those when I bought it )o: oh well, something to strive for...

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

Thanks back at you! Another benefit of these forums is the chance occasionally to pretend I know something--or to share something I enjoy so much.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Pug, your plants are really nice..I love your Aeschynanthus marmoratus (Zebra Basket Vine)..They had one at HD a few weeks back, but not only was it overpriced, but half the plant was dying, so passed it up.
    Your Hoya carnosa's colors are so vibrant. Bet you can't wait until they all bloom..take pics when they do..
    Pug, I only see a few leaves on your Mona Lisa with discoloration..if you cut a leaf/ves, it won't interfere w/flowering, so any brown tips that need clipping won't be a problem..
    BTW, thanks for the compliment on my plants..
    I'm sure you get a lot more light living in Fl (lucky you :))..(Here in IL, for the most part, it's gray, sigh)
    This is your choice of course, but I wouldn't repot the lipsticks or hoya in larger containers; blooms are more likely when they're rootbound.

Paul, okay, spill the beans..lol..how did you get free plants??? What other plants did you find?

Pep, I got the best deal for ST on Ebay..16oz for 20.00. That's the bargain of a lifetime..as soon as I saw the ad, I clicked Buy Now faster than you can blink..LOL. I think that'll last a while..Oh I love Ebay..wowee..

Zulu, I see the little lipsticks peeking out, about to make their appearance. Toni

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Toni,

You're right, one thing we have plenty of is sunshine. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing, LOL... I will clip the leaves if they get worse. I agree with you in not potting up the plants to a larger container. I know that these plants like tight pots, from what I have read and I really want to get flowers one day, (o:

I will Keep everyone updated if and when I get flowers, I also just recently(less than 2 months ago) bought some gardenias, these are firsts for me also, hope I have good luck with them. I know that you have had success with them, so if (or should I say WHEN) I encounter some problems, I might be asking for help. Right now so far so good. Waiting to get buds on them also?? Thanks!!

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Hi Pug..
    Pug, gotta ask about your name..do you have Pugs? Is that why you chose the name?

Yes, you are lucky living in the sunshine state, so enjoy. From Oct-Mar most Illinoians ask, what's sunshine? Today it was foggy, so even though we got 6+" of snow a few nights back, and snow usually brightens our surroundings, it was impossible seeing out the windows. Visibility was about 10%...sigh.

Too much of a good thing? Well, maybe, but one thing you have to remember, if you have a plant that doesn't require 10 hours of direct sun, you can always place it in a shady spot, be it beside a tree, under an awning, etc.. So, at the minimum you have options..

What size gardenia did you buy? A tree or bush? Now, that's a plant that loves the outdoors. I wish you the best of luck..Toni

• paul_
    16 years ago

Toni, Lowes had a coupon available on the Net for $10 off a plant purchase. The LP was $9.97 so .....

Also got via coupons:

Hoya tsangii -- free

sago palm (12 fronds, 6" bulb pot) -- $1

Nep (NOID but looks like ventricosa)
    .......looks like 2 plants in one cube -- free

Sarracenia purpurata (sm cube) -- free

Drosera adelae (sm cube) -- free

Unfortunately, really wasn't much of a selection to choose from. Would have prefered a desert rose and REALLY REALLY was hoping to find Hoya mindorensis.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Toni,

Hi Pug..
    Pug, gotta ask about your name..do you have Pugs? Is that why you chose the name?color>

Since you asked, LOL. I must share a photo of my pug "Max", he is almost 3 years old and a real ham...very sweet dog. He is not a small dog about 25 lbs, LOVES to eat. I have always loved them ever since I saw the movie "Men in Black", ha, ha,

You're right, I guess I will take the sunshine, I love snow but only 1 or 2 weeks a year, I guess that's why I live here. I guess its a trade off, you have snow, we have hurricanes, )o:

I posted a couple of pics of my gardenia on the fragrant forum posted by "littlem_2007" under the heading
    "picture of my gardenia and stephanotis" if you want to see it.

{{gwi:70922}}

• cyberdancer
    16 years ago

What a sweetheart! Animals are such fun. I don't have any, but I enjoy my neighbors black Lab.

My Mona Lisa is a Fall-Winter bloomer for me, so don't worry if it doesn't bloom during Spring or Summer.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Paul, I'm baffled..coupons on the internet?? 10.00 off and you find a LP just under? LOL..Lucky you..Darn, wish we had a nearby Lowes..and the other plants you got..!!
    I still don't understand how you got the other plants, (which are really nice) for 1.00 and/or free...lol..Sago w/12 fronds for 1.00? Drosera, Nep and Sarracenia, free??? You have got to tell me your secret..LOL..Do u belong to a Lowe's club? Is that how you got the coupons? If I'd got hold of coupons, I'd have driven to Lowe's, which is a good drive, but still, free plants? And those you mention are rare..You lucked out, guy.. Desert Rose isn't hard to find..I got one at HD for 15.00 though it was 2 yrs ago. You can also find them on Ebay. Also, several nurseries, like Buried Treasures sells nice DR..I got a bare root 'variegated' DR a few months back..can't wait till it wakes from dormancy..I want to see its variegated leaves. There's many Hoya sites including Hoyas R Us..you should be able to find a H. mindorensis..I'll keep an eye opened.

Pug, Max is a cutie..I didn't realize Pugs got that big..25 lbs..I can see he likes posing for pics..lol.

U have canes, and we have snow..it's not really the snow that bothers me..it's the -0 and ice. It's worse when electric goes out meaning no heat..I have birds to worry about. Driving or even walking is dangerous..but yeah, canes are awfully destructive. A lot worse than any snow storms we get.
    So, Pug, I wish you many sunny non-cane days..I looked at your 'denia, it's so pretty..do you have a Stephanotis, too? I like the Steph posted by Littlem. I've never seen a steph hanging before..they're usually grown on a trellis, but it's sure interesting. Mine still hasn't flowered, after all these years..sigh. Again, good luck w/your denia..they're a bit difficult, but w/some effort it'll do fine..a friend uses Epson salts on hers, think I'm going to give it a try..I also use iron, (just a bit) to prevent chlorosis. So far so good..thank the stars..Toni

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cyberdancer, thanks for the heads up on the flowering. I'm not counting on it flowering this spring(hoping?) especially since I changed the soil(same pot), it will probably go through some adjustment period I'm guessing.

Thanks Toni, I feel for you -0 will do me in for sure. I don't know how you guys can drive in that type of weather. I give you the credit you all deserve...
    I don't have a Stephanotis (that is the first one I've seen), very pretty. I have a Jasmine, planted last summer.

• bonhairbyfagnol_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have been reading everybody's posts to find answers to my questions but I think I need to get more involved in order to get direct help that I am thankful for in advance. I purchased a lipstick vines a year ago in full bloom. I have not been able to make it bloom since. I have tried the no watering for two weeks technique, followed by a good drenching, fertilizing, feeding, and nothing works. Now I have 2" stems hanging very long, but no fullness in the middle. It looks very healthy but no flowers.
    It seems like it is very much rootbound, like there is hardly any soil in the plastic pot that I bought it in, to the point that I feel it should be repotted. If anybody can give me some advice on how to proceed, I would greatly appreciate it.
    I have to add that I have killed more plants than I care to say. It's only now that I am finally getting a hang of it by not watering my plants to death. Oh! and another thing, I don't seem to be able to get rid of gnats, tiny teeny little flying things from my plants I have no ideas where they come from. I have 3 orchids in bloom now that I am very proud of. At least I know that I am doing something right.

• mdregoiw
    12 years ago

I had a lipstick plant that never once bloomed for me. But
    what is unusual, I think, is that I gave my mother slips off of my
    plant and hers bloomed "all of the time"!!! She would call me to
    come over and then tease me - "see, mine is blooming!" And it
    was always full of blooms.
    I lost my mother in 2006, and I ultimately tossed my lipstick
    plant. But I remembered just how beautiful they were, so I
    purchased another. It didn�t seem to do a thing. I checked, and the
    pot was just roots, no dirt. I had read where they like to be
    rootbound, so I let it be.
    I watered, but not too much. When it looked like it was going
    to do something, I watered slightly more, but never overwatered.
    Again, never a bloom
    But low and behold, I read somewhere that I might try
    spraying it daily with tepid water - giving it much needed
    humidity. I live in Wyoming, so it is totally an inside plant, year
    around.
    What a difference it made to spray it. It wasn�t too long that
    I had literally hundreds of blooms and then the lipsticks finally
    came out. It was beautiful.
    Actually, I have found that I hardly ever water the plant (I
    keep forgetting), but I do spray it regularly, sometimes even twice
    a day. And it has been worth the effort, as it blooms now for me.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow Avery! I'm so happy for you that after 19 years your lipstick plant finally bloomed! That's truly a long wait, glad you had the patience required,lol...