SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
houseplantlover

Yes, I bought more

houseplantlover
14 years ago

Well I went to the grocery store last nite in our little town and guess what, they had a new shipment of plants and they were on sale. $2.49 and up. Well after spending all day at work freezing my butt off( I own a gas station) well I just could not resist on buying another plant and yes I already have one of the plants (pothos) but as we all know it a habit and it could be worse.

Tonight, I think( I know) that I will be going back and they have some beautiful arrow head and split leaf phildrodem in hanging baskets for 8.49. the only problem is my DH will be with me. Let me think.......ummmmm, how can I manage this one?

Comments (49)

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

I sometimes use the promise of inappropriate adult actions to get what I want. And if that doesn't work, I just tell my hubby to go look in the garage where his $6000 Honda motorcycle I bought him is parked. ^_^

Yes I'm evil, but I get whatever plant I want this way. Hehe.

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh way too funny and so true.

• Related Discussions

Bareroot rose rookie

Q

Comments (3)
    Keeping an eye on bareroots after planting is very important, also planting them correctly is important too. You can get air pockets in your planting hole by not watering after you fill the hole half way up with compost, then water, let it drain away, this helps take the air pockets away. air pockets will make roots dry out. I always put a compost mound over the canes and keep it moist. It is very important to WATCH them closely after planting. Cover with a mound of compost all the way to the top, keep moist, as soon as you see that the rose is leafing out gently wash away the compost. Before you do all of this cut off a little of a cane and if the pith inside is white it is still alive, if it is brown and crunchy it is dead. I would call the company you purchased the roses from to get a refund or a new rose. Also they need a good 24 hour soak with some vtitman B-1. I also but a tablespoon per gallon of water of vitiman b-1 after planting and pour it over the rose so they will not shock and it helps them grow a little better, NEVER give them fertilzer until your first bloom. By the way, were did you purchase them???? Good Luck and keep us informed. Carrie
    ...See More

I bought five more roses today

Q

Comments (2)
    How exciting! I ordered five new roses (around Christmas) but it will be too cold to pick them up, until May. Do hybrid musks grow well, for you? I've always wanted to try Ghislaine de Feligonde (1916) but our area might be too cold. It's such a pretty rose and can be a climber, in warmer areas. From Lavender's Garden Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Ghislaine de Feligonde
    ...See More

Yes! I did it! I bought a kiln ........ now what?

Q

Comments (18)
    To answer your first question,yes you can glaze and fire Talevera and no it will not explode. You can also reglaze tiles and fire them, be sure and get 3-4 good coats of Glaze on them. Unless you use stilts to hold them off the kiln shelf, do not allow your glaze on the sides or bottom as the glaze will run and stick to your shelf. The kiln wash protects but in most cases will not hold up to glaze. In order to glaze fire, you must have cones set up that are visible thru a peep hole unless you have a Kiln-setter on the controls, then you can use a cone that will melt and turn your kiln off after the proper temp has been reached. Most glaze fires to a cone 06 temperature and if it does not get that hot, the glaze will not be true to color and also may not adhere. Good luck.
    ...See More

I bought more plants today...

Q

Comments (32)
    I've heard the statement but also have heard otherwise, so who knows. Regular predators like cougars, coyotes and the like prefer to kill their own and then eat it. Cougars will cache the rest for later so I guess they'll eat food that's been dead for a while if they killed it themselves. I'd expect that they wouldn't eat a cow or calf killed by lightning because they aren't scavengers. However, I'm not sure that savengers wouldn't eat it---skunks, vultures and the like. Often those birds and animals that eat carrion are opportunists that eat whatever they find, but I don't know if they eat animals killed by lightning strikes. Next time I run into one of our ranching friends who's lost cattle to lightning strikes, I'll ask him what he does with the carcass and whether anything feeds upon it. I've heard that the ones killed by a direct strike often smell really bad, and I think we humans would extrapolate that to indicate the flavor also would be untasty....charred or something. I'm not sure if the ones killed indirectly have the same burning and charring, so don't know if it would affect how they taste. Oddly, a person in our county was struck by lightning this evening as the storms moved in. I hope that person is going to be okay. I didn't go anywhere and didn't buy anything, plant, animal or otherwise. I might go plant shopping tomorrow or Monday. It seems like all we do lately is run home from here or there to get inside before the storms arrive.
    ...See More
  • houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did it again, a big pepermolia(ripple) and a arrow head vine...yeah for me.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

I could be a heavy smoker buying several paks a day at 7 dollars a pop, or drinking away my life with tons of alchohol..So this is my reward for not wasting my money on vile things! Lol

Never a guilty moment buying a plant at every visit to the plant section. Now the trick is to stay away from thse stores, especially Logees! I think I should invest in that company!

My last prize...? A fragrant sweet olive, and another gardenia...:-)

So I feel your JOY!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Ach!
    I couldn't resist a new purchase, either...
    A Silver Dollar Jade for me, and a Cyclamen for my mother.

Josh

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, I NEVER feel guilty about buying plants as I found a way around that a few years ago when I bought a little country gas station and general store. I found out that alot of people are really into houseplants and one thing let to another and I brought a few from home to sell for $1.00 (would have been a $10 plant anywhere else) and now when I sell some plants I buy more with the money, or more soil or the kids get it for their allowance. Since this is a hobby I dont charge tax and I dont put it in the cash register either. :In the summmer when people divide there perenials they bring them to me and either give them to me or I sell them and we split the money. :Last year we even did trees with great sucess. I have been given TONS of house plants also by so many customers when they dont want them any more or when they are prunning there own.

When you have to be at work for 13hrs a day but can spend time and lots of it doing plants it sure makes it alot easier.

I also do what we in Ontario call "Buy locally owned" and on the way home in the summer I pass 2 garden centers and guess what, I really dont pass them the car just drives in by itself. So I figure it a Win Win situation.

Another thing is people give me their pots after planting so I am also helping the enviroment with recycling and then anything I cant use goes to the local high school that has a greenhouse for the challenged children. They also have a great sale on Mothers Day.

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Bunnygurl. Too funny, LMOA! Toni

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I went to Walmart last nite and the plants were GROSS, some were so dry they were limp and there was one hanging basket that I wanted but I know better to buy it when its in that condition...bug city, so away I went feeling very sad but then I saw the seeds....OH MY well I bought Coleus as I have bought these before and had great luck with them and I bought Banana Plant seeds. Well they were 3.69 for 5 seeds but I am going to try it out. It says that they can grow up to 5 feet. Wow. At least I bought something.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Have you ever seen the very variegated coleus? Beautiful!!!!!
    I am in the market for them..And yes, what a shame that they just let their plants waste away, and I couldn't even get a price break on many half dead...Not even a discount..They just let them die instead of giving them to people who would care for them at a cheaper price..:-(

Bunnygirl, you are a riot!

Hi Toni! I will write you real soon..Hugs!

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I have seen that plant, very nice. There are so many different varities(sp?) out there now. I have tried to get reductions on things at Walmart, waist of time, plus I went on Saturday nite so you know there is just a bunch of kids working and there was only one person in that dept and they were putting together a stand so I didnt even bother to ask. I would say about 70% of the plants in that place looked half dead and I did a walk around twice. What a shame. The dept must always be at a loss or in the red cause I know for a fact that plants dont have a huge markup on them(I am a retailer too).

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Thanks Toni and Mike. I crack myself up too.

But I feel a little behind here...the last plant I added to my collection was a Sans cylindrica on December 13/09...perhaps I'm due for another? Sadly as of late I just haven't had the time nor the cash flow to get another. I just....doesn't feel...right, ya know?

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Bunny...lol again. I know the feeling.
    I've been good, until I stopped at the grocery store a few nights ago..
    They didn't have many varieties, but sitting on a shelf was a solo Ficus Lyrata. It's been years since I've seen one locally, and it was half off, so home it came.
    I've never had luck growing Lyratas, but it's been years since trying, so thought I'd try again. Before the Ficus, I purchased a few Christmas cactus plants and cuttings in December.
    BTW, what was the last plant you got? Toni

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Oooh. I like Lyratas. Never seen one here for sale - at least not at a size or price I want.

Last one I bought (well, actually my mother bought it for me as a bribe, thank goodness 'cause it was $40) was a Sansevieria cylindrica in an 8in pot. It's beautiful...hasn't grown a single hair yet. I am starting a few seeds right now, but I bought the seeds several months ago so I dunno if that counts.

Perhaps it's a good thing though. I'm out of shelf space and plants only get bigger...they don't downsize (generally) unless they're dying...so either no more plants or I set up another shelf...

...Is it just me or do I sense favors coming on...?

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So how was last nite? VRoom Vroom goes the garage?

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

Bunnygirl!
    Too Funny!! I have used similar tactics.. LOL! I also sold a 1965 ford mustang, to buy hubby something he wanted, so he gets reminded of that from time to time..lol!

Plants of all kinds are my treat to me!

I never buy jewlry, or clothes I dont really need. I work hard around the home and deserve a treat once in awhile.

I just got some beautiful pansies for the yard, a blueberry bush for hubby, and mint.

JoJo

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Houseplantlover..Which Pepperomia 'ripple' did you get? There's a new Ripple floating around..green leaves w/pink centers..They had a bunch at Walmart..Why I didn't get one...............

Mike, what new Variegated Coleus are you referring to? There's several colors.
    Park's sent an email..they had a Var Coleus on front, but I accidently deleted it..wonder if it's the same plant??

Bunny, do you have a pic of your Sans 'cylindracal.' I know it's misspelled..too lazy to look it up..lol
    Don't worry, it'll grow..I bought mine locally..it had 3 leaves, whatever San blades are called..That was back in the mid-90's..well, it now has 5 blades..lol..Actually, that's a guess...it's behind other Sans, hard to reach at the momont..I've been showering plants this wk, so some areas are blocked off..
    I am sad to announce my Sans Hahnii 'Golden' died..this is number 4 or 5..What is it about that Sans??? Does it require something other Sans don't? More heat or water?
    Thanks, Toni

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

I have no issues with my Hahnii's. I have to - one Golden and one Jade Dwarf. They're both vibrant and growing like weeds - for Sans rate of growth anyways. Unfortunately I don't have a pic ready right now of my cylindrica but I can definitely get one. I think it's super neat even if it decides it doesn't really want to grow - just so long as it doesn't die.

Houseplantlover - hubby may be relatively easy to persuade, but sadly the budget doesn't give in to such crude attempts. Yargh!! Who invented money anyways?

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hopefulauthor, it was just the regular green ripple but very nice. I havent seen the other one u are talking about but it sounds like I will be keeping an eye out for that one too. Do u know the name of it so I can put it on my wish list?

Sweet mother it cold in Ontario today.......-20c or 0f

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Had to go to Ottawa yesterday and I thought what better time to check out some stores. I only had time to go to HD at Carleton Place and very very surprised but very happy. The plant area was about half of the size at my HD in Belleville but the plants were in EXCELLENT condition. They had lots of soils and seeds out also. The mini greenhouses 4 tier are 29.99. I didnt get what »I was looking for (hoya and begonias) and they only had 3 hanging baskets but I did get a 3 inch pepermeloia at 1.79 and 4.5 peace lily in a nice ceramic pot for $6 and a hanging Cordatum Phildendron for 13.99. So I was a happy camper. The peace lilys roots were coming out the bottom and the top. Yeah for me. Most every plant was on sale too.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Houseplantlover,

Sweet!

Sometimes you can find great deals there and once in a great while, the unusual..You ahve to go about every day so you don't miss out over here.

So I am happy for you! Wish you could post a pic.

Mike..:-)

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Mike and thanks. I will try soon to figure out how to post pics but I am computer and camera stupid. Its lucky I got this far. I noticed on the Gallery site you can just up load a pic(why dont we have that here?) and that I did of one of my jades that I had someone else take a pic with there cell phone and email it to me but this site part doesnt have that so it a whole other ball game for me. When I do learn it boy you guys are going to get bomparded with pic....LOL My husband said you have to use another site like flicker or something? I am just of that generation that didnt use computers in school. Man we still had manual typewriters back then....LOL

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Come on, you are making yourself sound ancient..lol

You can't be a day over 30!

I too don't know how to use my new camera and new Mac notebook.
    Sheesh, so many pictures I want to show, and I don't even know how to download just on to my computer, let alone here.
    I have to wait for my 13 year old Nephew to show me how..
    :-)
    Think I will take a ride to HD tonight! Boy, do I wish they sold "foxtail" ferns. I can't find one anywhere.
    Not even a "Boston Fern".
    :-(

Mike

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mike, well, I am way over 30 and even over 40, thanks anyway.
    I went to Lowes on Saturday and got a Crown of Thorns for $4.88 not to bad....but looking for some Hoys and I cant find them anywhere.....Grrrr

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

I have been looking for Hoyas too. Went to home depot last week and came home with a half a dozen succulents instead..LOL!

JoJo

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I went to Ottawa yesterday with my husband to deliver a puppy and thought great I will get another plant(he was even paying) and guess what......forgot it was FAMILY DAY, (this is a holiday in Ontario) and EVERYTHING is closed. Not a happy camper cause I went to Walmart on Saturday and of cource it was GROSS and didnt buy anyting cause I knew I was going to Ottawa the next day. I really wanted a new :Hoya cause I cant find one anywhere.

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yesterday was a nice purple African Violet for 1.99. Why I bought it was the color of purple. It actually sparkles.
    Cool.

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Bunny, exactly...who invented money??? The Mint?
    Problem is, so many nurseries jack up plant prices..it's absurd.

Houseplantlover..I love P.'Emerald Ripple,' too..especially when they flower/spike..so pretty.
    I found the Pep with green leaves and pink centers at Walmart..no tag..well, there was a tag but it said, Foliage Plant..lol..I'll Google and see if I can find a name, if you'd like.

Mike, you're looking for a Foxtail fern? Are you a patient man? If so, my foxtail has berries galore..You are welcome to some if you'd like.
    I got mine at a local, outdoor nursery, opens in late spring till autumn..but I lucked out..my foxtail was in a 4" pot, under 5.00. Last summer, this nursery had large specimens, very costly..25.00 and up. LMK
    Another thing you can try is...visit local garden centers in spring and summer. You'll find, they sell many 'house plants' sold as annuals..Simiar to Asparagus Fern. If you were to purchase an AF as a houseplant, it'd cost 5 times the price compared to garden centers that sell as the same plant as annuals/accent plants. 1.25 here.
    Hoyas?? They're everywhere..check out Accents..addy is www.accentsforhomeandgarden.com
    Type in hoyas in the search box..They have the nicest, good sized plants, and reasonably priced..last year I bought 7 hoyas from Accents. He even sells variegated hoyas like H. multiflora, variegata. Think it's 6.99.
    Oops, don't know if he ships to Canada..darn..It doesn't hurt asking. I order plants from Thailand and China..no problem, so I don't see why US sellers won't ship to Canada..That's sad!

Houseplant..most of the AV's sold here are shipped from Canada..I know what you mean about sparkly flowers..
    they're so pretty!!! 1.99 is a great price..Toni

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Finally got a new Hoya at Walmart for 11.99 in a hanging basket. Carnosa Krimson Queen. Very sweet for me

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

I like the KQ. I have one on a hoop I got from a Rona for $10.

A couple days ago I FINALLY was able to get out and buy a couple more plants (after 3 months of nothin'). I got a Hoya carnosa of some sort - people here are guessing Krimson Princess -, a Lipstick Plant - Aeschynanthus -, and a relatively new variety of Dracaena - D. reflexa 'Riki'. It's so super neat. Hopefully I don't kill it, but apparently they're prone to mealies and I have a slight infestation going on with the cacti....ugh. Hopefully it'll be alright on the other side of the room.

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today it was a green Oxalis....Shamrock for 2.99 with lots of white blooms on them. Happy St. Patricks Day.

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Bunny, when you get a chance, will you post a pic of your new Dracaena? Toni

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Here is a pic of my new Dracaena.

{{gwi:69709}}

I think it's coloring is one of my favs in the Dracaena family.

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

very nice bunnygirl, The leaves look so healthy. I really like these plants but they take up so much space because of the large leaves.
    Keep on posting the pics.

Here in Ontario it was Random Acts of Kindness week so I bought another Green shamrock and gave it to a friend when I went over for a visit and a cup of tea.

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well DH and I went into to all 3 store that have plants and I must say that since garden season is getting near, the house plant section is looking rather sad but I did buy a small red veined pilea. I have never had one before, it says its a low lite plant. Any advice?

Stacey

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

I think it'd do alright in a North window, but I'd say Eastern exposure would be better and I really don't think it likes to dry out very much at all.

And that's pretty much all I know considering I haven't grown a Pilea is many years. Good luck.

• larry_b
    14 years ago

Hi all,

I didn't purchase any plants, but this weekend I went to my friend Irina's house on Sunday to pick up a cutting of Aeschynanthus humilis and a couple of streptocarpuses. Her plant room is pretty amazing. She has all kinds of gesneriads. Quite a few I knew and quite a few I'd never heard of. Instead of the three plants I had thought I was getting I left with quite a few more. She would go from plant to plant and ask me if I wanted a cutting. Before I knew it she had given me a total of 18 plants, cuttings and rhizomes! I probably refused another 10 plants or cuttings she offered. Anyway this is kind of a problem, because I don't have room for 18 more plants at my house. Basically my gesneriad collection just increased by 50%. So now I have to be pretty creative. All in all, Irina was extremely generous! My next problem will be that all of these plants are going to get larger!

As you can see below, five of them will take up residency in front of my terrarium. With some reorganization of my present plant stands I can get a few more in there. I figure I can hang up a few plants on hooks from the ceiling and it looks like the dresser is going to be full of plants from now on.

She gave me:

2 African violet plants.
    1 African violet cutting.
    1 Episcia plant.
    2 Episcia cuttings.
    3 Streptocarpuses
    1 Petrocosmea plant.
    1 Miniature sinningia plant.
    1 Sinningia Speciosa tuber.
    3 Kohleria rhizomes.
    1 Achimenantha rhizome.
    1 Aeschynanthus cutting.
    1 Columnea cutting.

Here are some of my treasures:

Plants.

{{gwi:69711}}

Bagged cuttings and plants.

{{gwi:69712}}

Episcia Pink Smoke.

{{gwi:69714}}

Petrocosmea sericea

{{gwi:69716}}

Sinningia HCY's Icy Blue x self. You can see that it's developing a new tuber under the bloom.

{{gwi:69717}}

One I potted. Episcia Thad's Pinka Dot

{{gwi:69718}}

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

I must say you came out of there with a very nice haul! You're lucky to have a friend who's into plants as well. None of mine are so I have to go to a store and pay sometimes what can be a fortune (especially if I were to get 18) for new additions.

Lucky you, and good luck with all of those! And btw, that Petrocosmea sericea I think is just absolutely beautiful!

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow Larry, very nice score. I love the Petro. I had someone give me a truck load of plants last year. It was very very over wheling and not all of them made it and I did sell some too but it took me 2 weeks to plant everything. She says she is going to do it again this year. Help.

Stac

• larry_b
    14 years ago

Thank you bunnygurl and houseplantlover,

I am lucky to have such a nice plant friend. And yes, those petrocosmeas are cool.

My friend has threaten to bring over even more plants and cuttings!

Larry

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Hey Stac. You could always pass a few over this way if you feel overwhelmed with another truckload. =P

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

So I was in Staples buying file folders for my filing cabinet when I got this urge...more of a calling I'd say to go to my favorite garden centre.

So off I go and I wander in and what do my disbelieving eyes see but a Domino Peace Lily in a 4in pot. I had to use every ounce of my strength to stop myself from grabbing them all and running around the store in a psychotic squealing frenzy.

They've always had these in 8in pots but I just HATE buying big plants. Not nearly as much joy in growing them as there is if you buy a small one and get it to an 8in pot yourself. So though they always had those I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for about 2 years to find it in a 4in pot.

Alas my patience has been rewarded and I also managed to only buy one, which wasn't nearly as hard as refraining from squealing as I dislike duplicates. Finding this plant also negates the upset that I should feel at having bought file folders that don't fit in my cabinet.

• tropic.dreams
    14 years ago

I like the look of the Petrocosmea sericea so mcuh but I'm afraid it looks like the type of plant I kill way too easily. Nothing in the African Violet -- or aralia -- family can survive me. Crotons are pretty iffy too. I'm amazed at people who can keep them going.

• larry_b
    14 years ago

I like the look of the Petrocosmea sericea so mcuh but I'm afraid it looks like the type of plant I kill way too easily.

So far so good on the Petrocosmea. It seems to like what I'm doing to it. It has even grown considerably. I am looking forward to seeing it bloom!

Larry

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well the other day I bought another plain pepermolia, but I dont know what it is called and I had one a long time ago and had great luck with it. I have been making so many babies that it was time to start putting things outside again. I love this weather.
    Stac

• paul_
    13 years ago

"I like the look of the Petrocosmea sericea so mcuh but I'm afraid it looks like the type of plant I kill way too easily. Nothing in the African Violet -- or aralia -- family can survive me."

Tropic dreams, I have one word for you -- terrarium. It makes AVs sooo easy.

Since you're short on space, Larry, you can send the Petrocosmea and any mini Sinningia over to me ......... LOL

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Went to my local highschools greenhouse sale and as soon as I walked in, I saw 2 big hoyas and man did I get excited and they were for sale(I was very quick to ask)So I bought 2 ...they are the thick large leaves with white specks on them...anyone know they name?
    They also got 2 Crown of thorns for a dollar each. The next day I brought in a box of plants for them to sell and a box of old planters and they were so happy that they didnt want to charge me for my purchases but I said no cause it was only $5 and I told them that next year I was hoping they would have more houseplants. If your highschool has a greenhouse.....get to know the people,,,it pays off.
    Stacey

• AndrewH
    13 years ago

Hi Stacey,

There are many (MANY) different hoyas, and they're not the easiest plants to identify from foliage. It sort of sounds like Hoya obovata, but you should post a picture in the hoya forum for the experts to see. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb hoya forum

• larry_b
    13 years ago

Hi Paul,

Sorry to disappoint you, but my wife let me get two other grow lights for my new and future gessies. Here they are:

{{gwi:69719}}

• houseplantlover
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yesterday was a grocery trip to Walmart and I got a really nice pink tipped leaf african violet. Very pretty.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio