SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iamsupernova

So much rain

IAmSupernova
11 years ago

This ended up being longer than I planned, I tend to let my thoughts run wild sometimes =/ so I apologize in advance.

I find it actually kinda funny, not even a couple weeks ago I said I'd gladly take the challenges posed by daily rain rather than drought conditions and consistent triple digit temperatures. Well Now I got it, and the grass really isn't greener on the other side. I coulda never guessed it would happen though, we haven't seen rain like this in years. Even when we get hurricanes, it's over in a day or two and then it goes back to hot and sunny.

I'm not really sure how much we've gotten, but my rain gauge I have out there has been filled (5 inches) and over flowing for most of the day before I dumped it out and started over and it's now half way filled again. This just happened over 2-3 days. My extended forecast tells me there's likely no break coming anytime soon.

My question is, should I just write off the few plants I have managed to get going outside? I have 2 green bean (bush) plants, 6 corn plants and 4 okra plants. I have extra green beans going already and they're about ready to transplant outside (I got far less of a germination rate than I expected first go around) but I have no more okra or corn, should I go ahead and start more?

I have to say this is just a trial run, I wanted to find out if I liked gardening before I went full out, I cut corners where I could, and am still trying to keep costs to an absolute minimum. Probably going to hurt me in the long run I know, but I'd hate to find out I didn't like it after spending hundreds of dollars to get set up (I literally had no tools or anything, not even a shovel). So my one plot could be much better prepared. I did work to get some at least decent soil (mix of my soil that was already in my yard, peat moss, manure/humus and top soil) but I found out during my first heavy rain that my drainage is very poor. My plot basically forms a pool when it rains. Right now there's at least an inch of standing water covering the top layer of my soil.

The positioning is good for full day's sun, but not so great when it comes to creating drainage ditches. I suppose I could dig a ditch in the middle of the plot just to get the water to stop pooling at the top, but I really doubt that'd help much. As I understand it the problem comes from water suffocating the roots, and just digging a hole in the plot (it's not very big at all, 3x12 foot) wouldn't fix that.

Is there any chance these plants will make it on their own? Assuming I haven't tired of gardening (the way things seem, that's unlikely) I'll be putting a lot more resources into creating more ideal conditions when I expand, but for now, everything needs to remain at minimal cost and easily reversible.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!