SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joiseygirl71

Container Potatoes didn't produce

Joiseygirl71
11 years ago

Hi all. Sorry, this post is a bit long, but I could use some advice as to what went wrong!

Figured I'd experiment this spring (May) and try planting potatoes in containers. Seemed fairly easy, right? I had some store bought potatoes on my counter that had started sprouting, so why not? I used what are probably 10 gallon (or more) nursery containers that we had laying around and started with a 6" layer of potting soil, added the cut up potatoes (4 per container, with eyes) and added another few inches of soil. As the plants grew, I kept adding more potting soil until I reached the top of the container. Watered daily, kept evenly moist to the best of my knowledge. Not every potato piece produced a plant, but the ones that did looked healthy. They never flowered, which I read wasn't really necessary. It's been about 2 months and I noticed most of the plants starting to die back. I'm pretty impatient, so I decided to dig around today, figuring they were ready to harvest. Turns out I have been watering potato leaves for 2 months. Not one potato grew! There were white stems growing straight now, but nothing growing on them, not even buds.

I noticed the stems of some plants, near the dirt line, were black and wilted. Any clue what I did wrong??

Thanks for any feedback provided!!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County