SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

questions on kale, peas, green bean and tomato

Lynn Nevins
11 years ago

This is my first time growing veggies...

I tried a fews things from seed: peas, pear tomatoes, kale and haricots verts. Naturally not all the seeds took but I DID get a bit of everything to grow.

Since I've never grown veggies (only plants/flowers), it's hard for me to grasp growing seasons for veggies. Most of my plants are perennials and grow year-round, so why isn't this the case with fruits and veggies? So long as they are getting sun and water, why does the time of year matter?

Is it that for fruits and veggies, some can tolerate heat more than others, so some are summer yielding and others are spring/fall yielding and still others late Fall?

So like if I were to try and plant new pea, haricot verts or cherry tomato seeds, might they germinate, but then the problem is that the heat over July and August would not allow them to grow properly or thrive? Or COULD I possibly do another planting?

And what about kale? Same question. Also, with regards to kale, is it the type of plant (similar to say most herb plants) whereby I can continually cut off leaves, and new growth will continually reappear so long as the plant is alive? Or will I only get one group of leaves on my kale, and once those leaves are cut, that's it?

Thanks!!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022