SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maxima9

Sweet Heart Lychee tree with lots flowers won't fruit. Help!

maxima9
10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm new to the site and don't really know anything about gardening. Would love your suggestions.

Bought a 15 gallon Sweet Heart lychee tree $200, about 6 feet tall. The main trunk was curved and not very good looking. Planted it in the grassy yard March 2013. It had some flowers, and some fruit the size of the tip of a toothpick. All of the fruit fell off in 2013 while they were toothpick size.

Now mid April, 2014, the tree is about 7+ feet tall, lots more flowers, both male and female, lots of bees (so many bees that it's a little scary), and very few fruit, still the same size as the tip of a toothpick and falling off immediately.

I'm in Los Angeles, the climate is dry and hot. The past winter was warm, almost like we didn't have a winter.

The tree was planted at a corner of the grassy back yard with 6 feet fence on 2 sides. We water the lawn 2x a week, 10 minutes each time. Haven't fertilized it yet.

How come the tree doesn't fruit? Anything I can do? All my friends tried planting lychee trees (all in Los Angeles) either killed it or had it for years without fruit.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your suggestions. :)

Comments (3)