SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Is the American Persimmon 'Szukis' NOT reliably self-fertile?etc

njbiology
15 years ago

Hi,

The following is a dialogue with the Persimmon Expert, Jerry Lehman; he gave me permission to share his opinions.

Hi Steve,

Me: I read that 'Early Golden' (always?) sports female limbs. EG is female and occasionally sports a small limb bearing male flowers.

_____

Questions for here (on the forum)...

1. So, if I get my Szukis and it's all female...will it eventually sport both flowers when mature?

2. If 'Early Golden' is large/fully mature enough, will it inevitably have to have some male flowers? My initial wording was unclear. What I mean is, as a matter of probability, if there are enough limbs on the tree, the number has to come up?

Jerry: There are other tree species that will also display this characteristic, also Killen does this. On a mature tree, is that inevitably going to happen? I don't understand this question. EG normally doesn't carry male flowers, it just happens occasionally.

Me: Secondly, after the 'Szukis' (even if it comes back as a pure female) is mature, will it eventually sport male limbs down the road since it already has the same genetics in common with all 'Szukis' grafts?

Jerry: I haven't observed Szukis to see if female limbs will start bearing male flowers after a few years. Knowing that the sexual expression of persimmon seems to be unstable, it very well could. But I wouldn't count on it.

Jerry

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting