SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aseedisapromise

onions from seed going to seed

aseedisapromise
16 years ago

I have been trying to grow onions from seed. Last year things went splendidly and I ended up with about a bushel of onions as big as my fist. ( These were Bastille onions from Stokes) None of them went to seed, either. This year has been a learning experience. I tried a different way of getting them started and they struggled with it. I also tried some sweet onions Ailsa Craig. Both kinds did really well after I transplanted them into the ground, but they are much smaller than last years', presumably because of their slow start. My question is this. I tried seed last year because when I did sets all the ones that grew large would go to seed. But some of my onions from seed are going to seed in this their first year! I thought that onions were biennials. When biennials struggle some are they prone to go to seed their first year? Is this just indicative of a too long season, and I should have been drying them out and digging them earlier? They didn't really look like they were done growing to me. It's funny, because I put some sets in when I planted the seed starts just in case the seed starts all died. (They really looked that bad!) But the onions fron sets, none of them are going to seed. None of any of the kinds of this years' onions are as large as last years'. Any ideas?

Comments (6)