SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindakimy

Blueberry people..what would you do?

lindakimy
17 years ago

Here's the problem - I live in the middle of South Carolina. Around here blueberries are supposed to do well as long as you get the right varieties. Last year we put in 7 plants: a combination of Tifblue, Premier, and Climax, which are supposed to be good ones for this area.

And then our well went dry. Obviously, that was NOT GOOD. We were afraid all the bushes had died but it looks as if 3 may actually survive. And this year - since we finally got a good new well drilled - they should have plenty of water. So now there they are in a bed we had partly amended with stall cleanings - straw, hay, horse manure - that has composted for a while. But around here the sand (we don't have dirt...it's pure white sand) just EATS organic material. You put in truckloads of it and it just vanishes. Those poor bushes are standing in sand again.

I understand that the root systems are shallow so I don't want to dig or till or cover them deeply with compost. So what DO I do? What would you do to improve the quality of the soil while nursing these poor survivors along?

Comments (3)