SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momovtwo_gw

Tired of waiting, orchard and grow bag advice pretty please :)

momovtwo
13 years ago

OK, we rent right now and are planning on moving as soon as 'the' house presents itself. We aren't in a rush and have been watching the area we want for about 6 months now. It may be another 6 months, it may be another year, we really don't know when something will come available in the location that we want with the land that we want. I've wanted to start an orchard for several years now and I'm simply tired of waiting, lol. I know it will be several years before anything that I plant will start to reward me with goodies and the itch is just to much to stand any longer!!

I've been working on the gardens (raised beds with hardware cloth bottoms so the are portable when we move) and my husband asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day.... DUH, garden stuffers.... oohhh wait, I want an orchard!! So, he said to take $250 and get things rolling on that, yayyyy!

My plans are to buy bare root for the most part and plant in geo bags part way in the ground, then mulch around much like commercial tree operations. What I don't know is what size bags should I start with? Smaller bags and then pot (um, bag) up as needed, or just start with larger bags? Growing medium for the bags? I'm not sure if 'container' is what category these would fall into or not.

Please feel free to point me in the direction of another thread that may help me out. I tried to search, but results weren't really helpful.

Comments (3)