SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raisemybeds

SVB has been flying around here

raisemybeds
16 years ago

I have seen SVB hanging around in my garden the past few days. Right around 3 o'clock is when it likes to visit, seems. Looks so much BIGGER than last year. Huge fat black and red son-of-a-bleep. Unfortunately, for the moth, there is not much of anything to lay eggs upon as I have covered my bush-type squashes (Italian Marrow and Golden Zucchini) with lightweight row fabric tossed over a peaked-roof framework over the two dedicated squash beds I built this year. I have been hand-pollinating, which has yielded me just ONE marrow fruit so far, but the golden zukes are coming along this week in great numbers so I should be harvesting those like crazy in a couple more days. In past seasons, the whole month of June overflowed with zucchini.

I just need to sit this out until the end of the month when SVB disappears, then the cover comes off and more pre-started plants get added to the garden for a late surge of bush squash. Add that to the vining squashes growing on the other side of my garden (Tromboncino and Cucuzzi) and I will have thumbed my nose sufficiently at the old SVB, I expect. I have had to resign myself to a later squash harvest than I have been used to in order to contend with this pest, but it has not defeated me.

And I am paying my 13 year-old son $5. per dead body for SVB eradication. Saw him out there with his air-pistol yesterday. That's my boy.

Comments (4)