SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lifespeed

Blood Orange (Sanguinelli) fails to thrive

lifespeed
15 years ago

I planted a Sanguinelli Blood Orange on standard size rootstock, Carizzo I think, from a competent citrus nursery (Menlo Growers Gilroy, CA) two years ago. There were some bad freezes at the time and it lost the tips of some branches.

It has not grown appreciably. I fertilize 3 - 4 times a year, and water it every couple weeks. Last year after noticing the soil was drying out a bit too much I started watering it every week. I also increased the fertilization to about 6 times a year per the advice of Menlo Growers.

The tree just doesn't seem to be growing. There aren't any obvious symptoms of problems, just no growth. It is getting a bit of new growth right now, but not much. It is planted in clay soil in San Jose that has been amended 18" deep with a dumptruck of sand, as well as a dumptruck full of redwood compost. The entire yard was amended, not just the hole for the tree.

I have numerous other trees that are doing fine, including a meyer lemon and yosemite gold mandarin. Many of my neighbors have large orange trees. The tree gets 8 - 10 hours of sun a day, depending on the season.

Is there something I should be doing differently? Are these trees just slow growing?

Comments (4)