SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bernieeck

Flavor Supreme Pluots (or lack thereof...)

bernieeck
13 years ago

I have a Flavor Supreme pluot that I'm underwhelmed with. The fruit is fabulous, but the yield is non-existent. It flowers little and fruits less. In comparison, I have a Santa Rosa plum graft (there to improve pollination of the pluots, but not working) that puts out quantities of very good fruit.

So I'm thinking of regrafting the tree with the Santa Rosa plums. I also like the fact that the plum graft shows little susceptibility to aphid damage on young growth, whereas the pluot is very prone. If anyone thinks I'm being rash here in giving up on the pluots, please let me know now, before I take out the saw!

Assuming I go ahead with the regrafting, a question about the approach. The tree has about four scaffolding branches. I am planning to cut these back and put cleft grafts on them. But, I'm a bit shy of removing all the pluot branches (maybe the pluot yield improves, maybe the grafts don't take, doubts, doubts...). So the question is, if I graft 2 or 3 branches, will the tree direct growth to the grafts or just the surviving branches? If it is the latter, then I'd have to regraft everything or nothing which is a big decision.

By the way, the existing graph is too peripheral too grow significantly.

Comments (9)