SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markmein

'complete' organic fertilizer (cof) recipe by the npk numbers

markmein
14 years ago

A discussion over in the Soil forum(Steve Solomon's COF) got me to thinking about the "complete" organic fertilizer I use in my garden. I've been using a mix of alfalfa meal, rock phosphate and lime (half dolomite, half "regular"). The discussion raised questions about the recipe that is suggested by Steve Solomon in his various writings. Basically, it seems that there's a 4x1x1 version of the recipe (from online sources) and a 4x0.5x0.5 version (from his book about the maritime Pacific Northwest) for mixing seed meal x phosphate x lime. I decided to figure out the way to calculate the mix.

In his book (Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades) his recipe is intended to give a rough balance of nitrogen and phosphorus and minimal potassium since the soils in our region are rich in potassium. By using alfalfa meal, rather than seed meal, I'm deviating a bit from the intended recipe because the NPK is 3-0.5-2.5 -- more K than usual seed meals, but the alfalfa meal was highly recommended by a knowledgeable local gardener.

I've been using the recipe from his book (not the online version as I said in the other thread) of 4 parts alfalfa meal, 1/2 part phosphate, 1/2 part lime. These measure are by volume, as he suggests. By weight, my typical batch has 4 pounds alfalfa, 1 pound phosphate, 1 pound lime. The NPK for the phosphate is 0-3-0. By these weights I get in each batch 0.12 pound N (4# times 0.03), 0.03 pound P, 0.025 pound K. I am not mixing enough P to balance my N. To balance the N & P, my new recipe is:

4 pounds alfalfa, 3 pounds phosphate 1 pound lime

which by volume is

4 parts alfalfa x 1.5 parts phosphate x 0.5 part lime.

This will give me in each batch 0.12#N, 0.11#P (there's a little P in the alfalfa), 0.10#K. Virtually an even balance of NPK. The lime is there, in a relatively small amount, to provide minerals without messing too much with the soil pH.

This math works for any seed meal you care to use. most seed meals have higher nitrogen numbers, and less potassium, so the mix would be different to balance N&P.

Comments (6)