SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael357

What a dope

Michael
15 years ago

I dutifully went out and sprayed my 3 yo peach tree a couple of weeks+ ago with dormant oil and FORGOT THE KOCIDE. Didn't realize it until last Sunday while checking the buds. The buds are at the green calyx stage now. I presume it is too late to spray now for Peach Leaf Curl. The tree has been dormant sprayed only in the early Spring the previous 2 years and no signs of PLC have ever been evident. Is it probable there will be no problem with PLC this year? Seems I read something over the winter that suggested there was no need to apply copper sprays for PLC if there has been none in the previous 2 yrs.. Tommorrow (Wednesday) is the last day I'll be able to spray before the wind and frezing temps. move in for another 5 days at least.

One thing I've learned is to not wait around for the weather to be right for dormant oil at the expense of getting a Kocide spray on. Seemed like a good idea but in the future, I'll lay down the Spring dormant Kocide and wait for the 50/50 chance of applying dormant oil before or at tight cluster on apples and dormant on peach. It is a real crap shoot weather wise around here with spraying since I choose not to spray in winds above 5-10 mph and even then am hesitant to do so. Welcome to the Great Plains in Spring time! Yesterday the wind was 45 sustained and 60mph gusts all day, didn't get out to spray :) Speaking of yesterday's wind, the day before yesterday I finished staking my young apples, LUCKY ME.

Oh, and for those interested, the Freedom, Jonafree, N.Spy and Golden Russet are just starting to break silver tip. the other apples have better sense.

Michael

Comments (9)