SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eibren

Potion for Itchy Cat?

eibren
18 years ago

I have read the posts re. Itchy Dog and Sleepless Child & Itchy Cat...There was not a lot for cats, which are much more sensitive than dogs to remedies (they can be harmed by essential oils, I read).

We are caring for a cat that is used to being outdoors; unfortunately, there is a cat leash law in our area and we cannot allow this. The cat is very frustrated, and keeps trying to get out. Partly in boredom, he chews the fur off of his stomach. The vet thinks he does have a food allergy, and the owner believes it is to corn. We are providing as corn-free a diet as we can afford, but we are caring for 3 cats and a dog at present, and he gets into the other animals' feed.

Lately, the cat has started scratching the area in front of his ears raw.

The cat's owner had previously applied a Sulfodene "Hot Spots" remedy for dogs to the cat, which had a deterrent effect; I tried just a bit one time and it was obvious that the cat hates it.

The cat does have some little round pinkish, raw raised spots here and there on his stomach. Fleas are doubtful; all our animals are regularly treated with an anti-flea "dot" on the back of their necks to ward those off.

I'm a bit nervous re. applying herbal products to a cat, as I am aware that they have a bad reaction to essential oils.

The cat seemed to appreciate being rubbed with some soda water.

I am wondering if I added some catnip tea and a bit of vinegar if that could be helpful. I was thinking of adding a bit of cod liver oil and Omega 3 oil as well.

Does anyone have a cat with a similar problem, and have they developed a potion to apply to the cat that helps, without the cat really hating it?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions