SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomis

Antique hobby apple orchard

thomis
16 years ago

Greetings fellow gardeners and orchardists. I am new to the forum. I wish I had found this forum a year ago when I began researching the subject of growing apples in the south because someone told me it couldn't be done. One year later, I am the proud owner of a small hobby orchard in the piedmont of NC. I transformed a section of my yard (about 3,500 square-feet) to accomodate 16 trees, 4 semi-dwarfs on MM111 and 11 dwarfs on Bud9 rootstock. I have encountered many obstacles in the way but I am hopeful. I would love to hear from folks in the general area and share experiences.

A brief overview of what I have so far:

16 trees, one year whips:

Aunt Rachel

Horse

Smokehouse

Kinnaird's Choice

Blacktwig (2)

Red Rebel

OldFashioned Winesap (2)

Grimes Golden

Goldrush

Virginia Gold

Magnum Bonum

Yates

Roxbury Russet

Carolina Red June

I had soil tests done and added lime to bring ph up. I didn't plant the trees high, though I have semi-dense clay. This may be the one long term problem but the local orchard fella thinks I'll be ok. I planted them in November '07 and just pruned them a few weeks ago for the first time. 4 of the dwarfs will be trained on espalier. Also, we built a fence to keep the deer off. Hope to hear from you and your experiences.

Comments (15)