SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
curtiskw

Harvestmanss 1/3 rule

curtis
10 years ago

Harvestman has previously articulated his 1/3 rule. Which is remove any branch that is1/3 or larger the size of the trunk where it emerges. This is on my Honeycrisp tree. I got the tree from a large local nursury. In reality the people who work there don't know much. bad pruning and no info to buyers. I knew nothing before coming to this forum.

So this branch got this way partially due to a competitive leader a few inches from the main. I had tied it to a 45 degree angle to decide later if it was a keeper. I have learned a lot sense then and will remove it.

The reason articulated by HM is that this type of branch will always prefer to be vegetative. So you are just better off without it.

In this case, this HC tree may finally give some apples, many branches do not have spurs and there are some on this one, so I pruned it back to the fruit spurs and will remove it after apples are picked.

I do have a questions on summer pruning..

As I understand it summer pruning is done after picking fruit, right? The idea is to remove mass without causing a lot of vegetative growth response, right?

Is it better to seal a summer prune with that black stuff?

This post was edited by cckw on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 10:04

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH