SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nogardenerami

It's stinkin' hot and my tomato plants are being stubborn.

nogardenerami
14 years ago

I have never grown anything before, and have taken the tomato plunge with a Sunmaster variety. It's in a very large 1/2 barrel container, potting soil, mulch, and fertilized every 14 (or so) days with Scotts tomato fertilizer. It gets about 8 hours of full morning sun, then is out of the direct afternoon sun. Moisture meter says moist.

Here is/are my dilemma(s):

1. I finally got blossoms about 2 weeks ago, but they aren't doing anything - not dropping off, not turning brown. Just happily sitting there, not doing anything.

Sub-dilemma 1a. No bees. None. I have resorted to the electric toothbrush massage method. May do absolutely nothing, but my kids got a kick out of mommy ruining her toothbrush, so during the long summer months that counts for something....

2. Leaves are curling. No discoloration, no spots, just curling.

3. Did I mention it's stinkin' hot? Friggin' hot? (Insert your own adjective here) hot? About 3 straight weeks of 100+ weather. Is there such a thing as too hot for tomatoes, or should Sunmaster do ok?

Any (and I do mean *any*) advice about care, fertilizing, watering, pollination, heat, variety - heck, even help with child-raising - would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (3)