SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Western blackberry hardiness experiment

Scott F Smith
14 years ago

Last year I decided to try out some of the new western blackberries in my Z6/7 climate. I prefer their flavor to the other kinds but had found in past years that my favorite, Marionberry, is not hardy in my climate. They have been breeding many new ones in the past few years, but since they are bred in Oregon for Oregon they don't pay a lot of attention to how they will do in my zone. Here is my experience of the last winter which I would call about average or a bit colder than average based on damage to my controls (Marionberry and Loganberry).

Marionberry - the old classic. Not hardy unless covered for the winter (I am trying to find berries I don't need to do that for, I don't have the time to do it).

Loganberry - ditto, all died back to 1' at most.

Black Pearl - I had high hopes for this one since it is thornless and Raintree called it zone 6. Well, its no zone 6, dieback was similar to the two above.

Siskiyou - this one was about 80% survival so I would call that a winner. Looking forward to seeing how they taste this summer.

Metolius - 100% survival, the best. Raintree rates it zone 5 and while I doubt that, it is clearly a good one for me.

Cascade and Cascade trailing - not hardy at all, complete dieback.

Orus 1843-3 - about half dieback but the plant was not super healthy last summer and I feel it is due another year of experimentation.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: ORST report on new blackberries

Comments (31)