SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hengal_gw

Need help - dismantling strawberry 'pyramid', saving plants

hengal
17 years ago

Good morning!

A couple of years ago I bought from a catalog one of those 3-tiered strawberry pyramids. Well, to be honest, I did not do to much with it - the weeds were so horrendous it seemed like they just took over immediately, even though the plants were producing well (well enough for the ducks to eat them). I was thinking about just trashing the whole thing, but then figured I should keep the plants and work with them this year and reap the harvest for my family - not the birds. I guess I am not sure how they would survive being dug up out of the pyramid and replanted in a regular bed, which is what I would like to do with that area. There seemed to be a matted mess of runners at the end of the season last year on this thing. Will they survive being dug up and replanted? And when should this be done? Even though most of our snow is finally gone, the ground is so sopping wet I really can't do anything with it right now. Heck, at this point I'm hoping I can get out in the garden by June, as wet as it is. Also - will they bear fruit this year if replanted?

I appreciate any help you have to offer. I admittedly did not do very well with this project. One of those things I ordered before I was really ready for at the time.

Can you help me please?

Thank you! :)

Comment (1)