SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildlifeman_gw

mulching fruit trees

wildlifeman
16 years ago

hoping i'm not posting too many questions of late, but i have another thats burnin'.

jellyman pointed out on why i had 2 peach trees possibly failing may be a lack of mulch and rich humus soil. which i'm sure was accurate.

my mulching plan does allow for SOME stable mulch , but i definitly won't have it in any near quantity for all my trees.

my plan is to use a few sheets of newspaper laid down first, covered with pine straw and/or leaves. these materials are readily available. the newspaper breaks down quickly,provides humus and attracts and feeds worms.

as a sort of fertilizer i plan to add wood ash with bones burned in it. i will also add household coffee grounds and egg shells to help out with trace minerals. ash with bone added early spring and again after tree starts going into dormancy.

other available mulch can include cattails,various pond seaweed and to a lesser degree rotting log and stump "humus". some availability of sawdust,wood chips but i hesitate to use as mulch due to nitrogen consumption.

does this seem like a plausible plan ?

thanks,

wildlifeman

Comments (9)