SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel67_gw

Concrete Paver Raised Bed - Yellow Plants

rachel67
12 years ago

Hello Fellow Gardeners,

I thought I'd try something different this year in my garden so I made several raised beds with 40 year old 6 inch x 12 inch concrete pavers. Most of the beds are 18 inches wide x 4 feet long. One or two are only about 12 inches wide x 4 feet. I used existing garden soil and added compost when I planted Memorial Day weekend. I knew the pavers would attract more heat however this week I'm noticing the seedlings (peppers, tomatoes, zinnias, marigolds, cucumbers) I planted are starting to turn yellow and just not look right. Since the pavers are 40 years old I didn't think lime would be a problem but .... Could the pavers still be leaching something into the soil? Are the beds just too small in size and thus heating up way too much? If they are suffering now what will happen in July and August?!! So far the seeds that have germinated look okay. Since the garden has only been in for two weeks I'm thinking I should remove all the pavers and add some more compost around the plants. Any thoughts? Thank you very much.

Rachel in Portland Maine

Comments (2)