SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtslinger2

Comfrey 'Bocking 4', questions

dirtslinger2
15 years ago

I and hoping to plant a quarter acre of Bocking 4 Comfrey, to harvest and dry for livestock feed supplement (pigs, poultry, and a few cows). The Richter's catalogue suggested it is the best variety for this purpose due to the higher protein levels.

Is there truly a significant difference between the Symphytum x uplandicum 'Bocking 4', and the common comfrey Symphytum officinale? I'm particularly worried about the dangerous alkaloids that are not supposed to be ingested. I am assuming the Bocking 4 is safer...?

Commom comfrey seeds are incredibly cheap- I could start a plantation for about $10, rather than the named plants for likely over $200.

Any suggestions? I'm not set up for any propagation here. And would like to be harvesting sooner than later.

Actually plants would be ideal (besides the $$ issue!) because my farm is over run with canary reed grass, which creates the most difficult establishment process! I am hoping that comfrey planted tight will help smother the CR grass, similar to my jerusalem artichoke patches that have worked quite well...

Sorry for the long post- just curious if Bocking 4 is really superb for livestock feed or will common comfrey be just fine? Thanks.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions