SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zippity_duda

What to expect after chemical treatment of veggies

zippity_duda
16 years ago

First I want to thank everyone who replies for the info that I've been getting off of the forum! Using this info I have identified striped cucumber beetles, japanese beetles, stink bugs and maybe some leaf-footed bugs. None of the bugs are running rampant yet, and I have been squashing what I find. In the past day or two I have now begun noticing some orangish eggs on the underside of the leafs, an increase in the bug population, and my cucumber leaves have begun turning brown and wilting. I brushed off the eggs that I could and I ripped off the leaf parts that I couldn't remove the eggs from (some were browner and may have already hatched (ugg). I tried to remove the brown leaves in case it is bacterial wilt spread from the bugs. I decided to start with a few safer treatments to prevent a full on outbreak and also because I am already harvesting and am trying to prevent having to discard stuff that ripens in the 5-7 day wait till harvest time that other chemicals have. I got

1. Garden Safe Fungicide 3-1 (0.9% Neem oil)(I got the 3-1 becuase my zucchini has some powdery mildew too)

2. Garden Safe Insect spray (0.01% pyrthrins and 1% canola oil)

3. Sure Fire Insect Killing soap (2% potassium salts of fatty acids)

4. Garden dust (copper and rotenone (1.5%) just in case)

I used the 3-1Fungicide and the Insect spray this evening on my cucumbers and zucchini's (so far I haven't seen them on the tomatos much yet).

my questions are:

1. How long before I see an effect

2. Is there anything that I should watch for as an adverse reaction to the sprays?

3. In general is there anything that I've missed?

4. What else do you recommend now and over the winter to prevent them from returning in larger numbers next year?

my garden has been spectacular for a first garden (I've already been freezing excess zucchini, and my tomatos are over 6 feet tall with what look like 100's of cherry tomatos!!) and I'm not ready for the streak to end.....not that I suppose any gardener is

Comments (3)