SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plant_one_on_me

looking for root stock recommendations

plant-one-on-me
15 years ago

First a little information...

I have a VERY small yard and would like to grow a couple fruit trees. I have space for at most 2 dwarf/semi dwarf trees. (I am growing lots of smaller fruits such as blueberries, raspberries, grapes etc.) I would like to make a tree of mixed varieties and need to know what kind of root stock will maintain such a tree in my small space.

Our first love of tree fruits is the stone fruits such as plums, peaches, nectarines. I have seen the "fruit cocktail" trees being sold but would like to make my own with fruit I select (not the companies varieties).

Our second choice for tree fruits would be cherries. Same as above.

The third choice would be pears (we have a 5-in-1 apple at our daughter's house so don't need one here).

First could you recommend a sturdy dwarfing root stock for each of the types of trees we are considering.

Second, I know the pears are pretty resistant to disease and bugs but how about the others.

Third, I have seen advertised trees that are small enough to grow in pots such as miniature peaches, nectarines, and apricots...are they worth the money? If so I do have space for several. Can you graft onto them?

Fourth, are the pole type apples any good? Not much variety it seems.

Oops, one last question (maybe) how many different types of fruit can I graft onto a dwarf or semi-dwarf tree without stressing the rootstock too much?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can give. Kim

Comments (3)