SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdie_gw

Red Onions with huge tops and not so huge bulb

bluebirdie
13 years ago

Bought a bundle of red onion plants from our local home improvement store in February. There has been no bolting. All the green tops are growing ok. However, some of the green tops are as thick as 2 inch wide, while the bulb is only about 3 inch wide. They do not look like the picture on the package :-)

Found an old thread with detail answer from Dave. I think I'm guilty of committing some of the crime (planted a few too deep). However, since this is the first time I grow the bulbing type, I'm hoping anyone who's grown dry onion can help me out here.

Is this (2 inch wide top growth) the normal size? Also the green tops are still going strong after 120 days and show no softening. May I harvest and use the root and the top green now? What will I be sacreficing if harvested prematurely?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

BTW The plants were about 1/4" when purchased/planted. It's been 132 days since transplantation. The bed has about 8 inch of premium planting soil mix from last spring (tomato were grown last summer). 6 inch of compost was added on top last winter. Under the bed is just regular garden soil. The onions receive regular watering when soil is dry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Onions do not develop bulbs

Comments (10)