SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hadleyweed_gw

Help! Missed end of summer raspberry pruning!

hadleyweed
15 years ago

I got an unknown variety of raspberry plants three years ago at a plant trade. They didn't fruit the first year, then gave me a nice crop last summer, with no fall fruit. So I think they are the summer bearing type that fruit on second year wood. Unfortunately, I had some vague idea that I was supposed to prune them in late winter/early spring like you do roses. I read up on raspberry pruning today and found out I was supposed to take them to the ground after they fruited. Right now, I only see two canes in a row 15 feet long that look silvery and new. The rest look like woody canes that fruited last summer. What do I do now? Since there are only two canes that don't look old, does that mean I will only have two canes worth of fruit this year? Since I got them all at the same time, does that mean I will always have raspberries every two years? If I buy plants at a nursery this year, is it likely they are second year plants and will fruit this year, ensuring that I have some plants fruiting every year?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County